This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 49.9638 / 49°57'49"N
Longitude: -5.1877 / 5°11'15"W
OS Eastings: 171481
OS Northings: 11934
OS Grid: SW714119
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.LGD8
Mapcode Global: FRA 0903.4R3
Entry Name: Lloyds Signal Station
Listing Date: 9 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 64637
Location: Landewednack, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Landewednack
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Landewednack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANDEWEDNACK BASS POINT
SW 71 SW
9/57 Lloyds Signal Station
Signal station, now dwelling. 1872. Erected and opened by Messrs Fox of Falmouth.
Masonry with white masonry paint covering. Almost square in plan with canted bay
to south-east. 2 1/2 storeys with rectangular window openings, fenestration now
altered. Windows generally asymmetrical with 3 windows on ground floor on south-
west side. C20 porch and 3 windows on north-west side and 2 storeys of 3
rectangular windows in the projecting bay to the south-east with a ground and first
floor window on the left. 5 small rectangular lookout windows are placed below the
battlements of the bay looking seaward. Flat roof behind the battlements. The
timber signal pole has been reduced in height.
Of the 4 rooms on the ground floor 2 were occupied by the Direct Spanish Telegraph
Company, 1 by the Lizard Signal Company and 1 a waiting room. Telegraph office
above. On the flat roof a signalman watched through the 5 small windows.
Communication between the office and vessels was made by semaphore. Outward- and
homeward-bound ships reported their name and other information. The particulars
were then passed to the telegraph room below and sent to the ships' owners and to
daily papers. This removed the necessity for ships to call at Falmouth as they
could receive orders from The Lizard. More than 1,000 ships per month used The
Lizard Station by 1877. Interior not inspected.
Sources: S Pascoe, On the Cornish Coast, 1877. C A Johns, A Week at The Lizard,
Listing NGR: SW7148111934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings