History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barclays Bank kingswood Chemists

A Grade II Listed Building in Shefford, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0391 / 52°2'20"N

Longitude: -0.3338 / 0°20'1"W

OS Eastings: 514378

OS Northings: 239169

OS Grid: TL143391

Mapcode National: GBR H4V.0FV

Mapcode Global: VHGNC.50CM

Entry Name: Barclays Bank kingswood Chemists

Listing Date: 16 January 1952

Last Amended: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37675

Location: Shefford, Central Bedfordshire, SG17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Shefford

Built-Up Area: Shefford

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shefford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Shefford

Listing Text

TL 1439 SHEFFORD NORTHBRIDGE STREET
8/121 (east side)

16.1.52 No. 6 (Barclays Bank)
31.10.66. and No. 8 (Kingswood
Chemists)

GV II

House, now divided into 2 properties and converted to commercial use. C16,
reworked early C19 and C20. Closely studded timber framed building with red
brick infill, some pebbledash render and some red brick refacing. No. 8 is
rebuilt in early C19 red brick, with flared headers to some parts. Clay tile
roofs. H-plan. 2 storeys, LH cross-wing 2 storeys and attics. No. 6: main
block has carriage entrance to LH with flat timber head, carved spandrels and
plank gates, the area above this hung with fishscale tiles. To R of this
ground floor has C20 shop front in early C19 style, and first floor has gabled
oriel window on cut brackets, with mullions and leaded lights, and fishscale
tiles to gable. Cross-wing with timbering exposed, has leaded mullion and
transom windows, one of 5-lights to ground floor, one of 4-lights to first
floor. When the building was reworked in 1919 (plaque) the ground floor
studwork was removed from the cross-wing and new studwork installed in line
with the central block of the house, thereby producing a pedestrian passageway
across the ground floor of the crosswing. Cross-wing has rebuilt red brick
multiple chimney stack with moulded linked octagonal stacks. Main block has
red brick double ridge stack. No. 8: C20 shop front takes up whole of ground
floor. First floor and attic have C20 windows with rebuilt flat heads.
Gambrel roof has brick eaves mouldings to gable, and brick dentil eaves
cornice to side elevations. Variety of chimney stacks.


Listing NGR: TL1437839169

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.