This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.0276 / 50°1'39"N
Longitude: -5.2421 / 5°14'31"W
OS Eastings: 167891
OS Northings: 19198
OS Grid: SW678191
Mapcode National: GBR Z3.TD27
Mapcode Global: VH13J.3K2P
Entry Name: Church of St Mellanus
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 64658
Location: Mullion, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Mullion
Built-Up Area: Mullion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mullion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/07/2017
SW 61 NE,
Church of St Mellanus
(Formerly listed as: Church of St Melaine's)
Parish Church, C15 nave, north and south aisles, porch and chancel. Tower circa
1512, erected by Robert Luddra. Portion of south wall of south aisle rebuilt in
1691 (date stone). Vestry possibly mid C19. Church restored in 1840 and in 1870 by F C Eden
Rubble stone including granite and serpentine with granite ashlar blocks used in
tower. Dry slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with continuous roof and 7 bay
north and south aisles not quite full length of nave. Narrow 3-light east window
with late reticulated tracery, possibly C19. North aisle: stepped buttress to
east of early wooden studded oak door. Five 4-centred, arched 3-light Perpendicular
traceried windows with central cusped head raised. West window of north aisle
similar. South aisle: very low priests door to chancel on south east with
segmental arched opening. Wall between door and porch rebuilt in 1691. Three 4-
centred arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows with central cusped head
raised above flanking cusped head. To west of porch, 4-centred arched 3-light
Perpendicular traceried window restored in C19. Porch: parapeted gable roof with
C19 cross at apex. Unplastered original waggon roof with square bosses. Holy
water stoup. Small opening at base of south door known as dog door. Unbuttressed
west tower in two stages with slightly corbelled battlemented parapet and crocketed
finials. 2-light belfry opening with pierced tracery heads, hood moulds and slate
louvres on each side. Arch to west door earlier than main part of tower with drip
mould and eroded heads in label stops. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Above
this, immediately under the string course is a carved panel representing the
crucifixion. Circa mid C19 vestry with fivelight mullioned C19 west window and 3-
light mullioned C19 north window.
INTERIOR: arcade to north and south aisles, seven
bays with A-type (Pevsner) granite piers continuing from west to east wall.
Original waggon roof over north and south aisles and over nave and chancel. Carved
figures with shields at base of ribs to waggon roof in chancel with gilded central
Furnishings: Complete oak benches of about 1530 with moulded top rails and
very fine carved bench ends with both Gothic and Renaissance elements. The order of
these benches has possibly been altered. The chancel furnishings are C19 and C20.
The pulpit incorporates two earlier carved panels and was dedicated in 1966. Oak rood
screen dividing the east end, continues across the nave and aisles and incorporates
a fragment of the C15 sole plate. The new screen was started in 1924 and completed
in 1961 by Herbert Read of Exeter. Font, possibly C15 (Pevsner suggests C13).
Hexagonal bowl with octagonal stepped shaft and circular base. Painted coat of arms
over north door granted to Parish of Mullion by Charles II. Hatchment of Erisey
family over south door. Wall paintings on south wall of south aisle by Samuel
Triggs, Churchwarden, 1729. Two classical architectural frames with inscriptions
within. One has been partly blocked by the rood screen. Glass: East window filled
with C16 glass found under the floor of the chancel in 1840 by Revd. F Gregory.
Listing NGR: SW6789219199
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings