This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9821 / 51°58'55"N
Longitude: -0.5945 / 0°35'40"W
OS Eastings: 496620
OS Northings: 232443
OS Grid: SP966324
Mapcode National: GBR F2F.LJ0
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.NF1X
Entry Name: Sculpture Gallery, Adjoining South Side of South Stableblock
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38258
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9632-9732 WOBURN WOBURN PARK
23.1.61 Sculpture Gallery,
adjoining S side of South
Former conservatory, later converted to sculpture gallery, most sculpture now
removed. Circa 1790 by Henry Holland for Francis 5th Duke of Bedford,
remodelled 1818 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville. Ashlar, with slate roof. Long
rectangular block of a tall single storey. S elevation: symmetrical, with
central pedimented bay flanked by 4-window ranges. French windows with
round-arched heads and glazing bars. That to central bay is broader and
flanked by lower square-headed windows, forming a large Venetian window. All
windows have moulded surrounds with decorative keystones. Central bay has
panelled pilasters to outer edges. Above Venetian window are 2 large carved
paterae, and tympanum contains carved relief of bull. Central bay surmounted
by shallow dome by Wyatville. Adjoining both ends of main block are small
lower blocks. Each has slightly projecting central bay containing broad
round-arched French window, the flanking bays having shallow recesses
containing sculptures, and plain parapet with carved panel to centre.
Interior: central bay has 8 antique columns brought from Rome by the 5th
Duke, and installed by Wyatville to support his shallow dome.
Pevsner, p. 170; VCH (Bedfordshire), vol III, p. 460.
Listing NGR: SP9662032443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings