History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barley Wood and Memorial Urns

A Grade II Listed Building in Wrington, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.364 / 51°21'50"N

Longitude: -2.7492 / 2°44'57"W

OS Eastings: 347937

OS Northings: 163036

OS Grid: ST479630

Mapcode National: GBR JJ.T765

Mapcode Global: VH88Y.9ZG7

Entry Name: Barley Wood and Memorial Urns

Listing Date: 19 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158238

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34018

Location: Wrington, North Somerset, BS40

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Wrington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wrington

Listing Text

ST 46 SE WRINGTON C.P. LONG LANE (north side)

5/152 Barley Wood and memorial Urns

II

Detached house used as offices. Original cottage orne of 1801-2 extended by
Ernest George in 1900 and further extended by Chester H. Jones in 1933.
Memorial urns set up in 1802 and 1805. Render with plain tile roofs. L-shaped
plan of 2 storeys and attics with several canted bays. Small pane casement
fenestration throughout with gabled bargeboarded dormers to roof. East entrance
front has a gabled part-glazed porch with half timbering and cusped bargeboards.
Round-arched conservatory on openwork piers to east and south fronts. Rendered
stacks. 2 memorial urns on south terrace to the philosopher John Locke and to
Bishop Beilby Porteus. Locke urn given to Hannah More by Mrs. Montagu in 1789
and moved to Barley Wood in 1802. Limestone. Square plinth with moulded base
and cap, neo-classical urn with fluted neck and guilloche frieze. Porteus urn of
limestone, erected 1805 by Hannah More. Square plinth moulded at base and cap
with bulbous urn. The original cottage orne subsumed by later rebuilding was
built for the social reformer and authoress Hannah More after her move from nearby
Cowslip Green. (Unpublished history of Barley Wood commissioned by H.A.T. Group
Ltd.).


Listing NGR: ST4793763036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.