History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tregithew Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Manaccan, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.0795 / 50°4'46"N

Longitude: -5.1435 / 5°8'36"W

OS Eastings: 175198

OS Northings: 24669

OS Grid: SW751246

Mapcode National: GBR Z9.021S

Mapcode Global: FRA 083S.XPH

Entry Name: Tregithew Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 July 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 65223

Location: Manaccan, Cornwall, TR12

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Manaccan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Manaccan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Helford

Listing Text

MANACCAN
SW 72 SE
5/64 Tregithew Farmhouse
tO.7.57
GV II*
Farmhouse. C17 or earlier, remodelled and partly rebuilt in 1726 for W.N. further
extended by rear wing and outshut circa late C18. Serpentine rubble and dressed
Serpentine, dressed granite jambstones sills, and granite lintels incised to resemble
voussoirs of flat arches to the 1726 rebuilt part of the front. Scantle slate roofs,
sweeping lower over rear outshut and hipped over rear wing. Large C17 rubble chimney
over left-hand gable end and 2 large granite ashlar chimneys (1726), left of middle
and over right-hand gable end.
Plan: before the 1726 partial refronting and re-roofing this was probably the usual
3-room through passage plan with lower end, (largely still intact), left of former
passage, hall, middle and inner room right. The lower end and passage then became 2
service rooms with kitchen at left and the hall and inner room became a living-room
and parlour, right. It is probable that the house had already, by 1726, been
extended to the right as is indicated by the altered C17 doorway left of the 1726
parlour. Also in 1726 a stair turret was added at rear, right of middle, and then a
service wing to the right of the stair, and finally circa late C18 a service outshut
along the rear at the left and adjoining rear wall of stair turret.
2 storeys. Fairly regular 6-window east-south-east front. Walling of the 2 left-
hand bays up to first floor sill level is C17 otherwise front is mostly 1726 but
incorporating a doorway, under fourth from left first floor window, with chamfered
and straight stopped jambs and lintel cut away except over jambs and with incised
lintel of 1726 above. Now with C20 glazed porch. Datestone left of doorway with
west-north 1726. Except for the 2 circa early C19 sashes at ground floor left, all
the windows, 4 to ground floor and 6 to first floor are the original 1726 12-pane
sashes with very wide glazing bars, internally ovolo-moulded, and most of the
original crown glass.
Rear has 2 particularly interesting windows to first floor left and right of outshut,
both circa late C18 with horizontal wooden glazing bars and leaded panes between.
The left-hand window is in the original 1726 stair turret but reduced in size. The
right-hand window has one later replaced light. Further similar complete window to
right-hand gable end. At the left-hand gable end is original single-light chamfered
C17 granite window.
Interior has some very good 1726 features including 2 complete and unaltered rooms,
the parlour and the chamber over. Parlour is fully panelled with fielded panels,
broken forward at panel intervals with the moulded cornice also broken forward. The
chimney piece has eared bolection moulding with breaks in the entablature. 8-
panelled doors; those to cupboards flanking the fireplace have round heads. The
chamber over has bolection moulded chimney piece and ceiling coved with moulded
cornices on 4 sides, also original doors and cupboards. A further bolection moulded
chimney-piece in the next room. Wide open-well closed-string stair with heavy column
and bobbin turned balusters, moulded handrail and newel caps, turned pendant under
landing newel and pulvinated string. Bowtell moulded beams in room to left of
parlour and many other C18 features. Roof structure not inspected but must be
predominently of 1726.
A remarkable house, with good features surviving from each or its main
periods of development and particularly notable the C18 fenestration and high quality
and innovative parlour and principal chamber features.


Listing NGR: SW7519824669

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.