History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Iford Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westwood, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.329 / 51°19'44"N

Longitude: -2.2876 / 2°17'15"W

OS Eastings: 380060

OS Northings: 158922

OS Grid: ST800589

Mapcode National: GBR 0R5.QGF

Mapcode Global: VH96V.9VJJ

Entry Name: Iford Manor

Listing Date: 19 October 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158288

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32316

Location: Westwood, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Westwood

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Westwood St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Westwood

Listing Text

ST 85 NW
(inset on ST 75 NE)
5/41


FRESHFORD C.P.
IFORD
Iford Manor


G.V.
II*


Manor House. Late C15th or C16th; remodelled c.1725-30; and restored 1899
onwards by Harold Peto as his own house. Ashlar; hipped slate roof behind
balustraded parapet which is ramped up at ends. Moulded cornice. Rusticated
end pilasters. 3 storeys. 5 bays. Glazing bar sash windows in architraves
and under pediments on consoles (on ground and first floors); segmental pediment
over central first floor window. Central panelled door; under segmental
pediment, bolection moulded doorcase. 2 storey, 2 window wing to left with
hipped Cotswold stone slate roof (formerly a matelising wing to right). Side
(south-east) elevation. Rear portion to right: 2 steep stone gables; 4-light
king mullion casement window on ground floor with ogee/hollow moulded mullions
and surrounds; early C19th French windows, under drip moulds, on first floor;
and 2-light casements with ovolo moulded mullions and under drip moulds in
gables. To left is projecting, 1 storey, 3 bay arcaded loggia by Peto: Ionic
columns and medallions in spandrels. At far right is single storey attached
conservatory: pilasters; plain entablature and glazing bar sash windows. To
rear of house is enclosed courtyard with 2 storey service wings of C18th and
C19th (all included). Interior. Dining Hall (south-east room): finely carved
C16th ashlar fireplace with 4-centred arch lintel, panelled jambs and spandrels
with cusped heads; C17th panelling: C18th panelled room to north of Dining Hall
(Dean's Parlour): and another immediately above Dining Hall; Regency staircase;
Drawing Room; panelled plaster ceiling and cornice, incorporating C15th and
C16th Continental painted panels (by Peto). Peto incorporated many fragments of
sculpture and architecture in the house and particularly the grounds of Iford
Manor.


Listing NGR: ST8006058922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.