History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Ciricius and St Julitta

A Grade I Listed Building in Luxulyan, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3902 / 50°23'24"N

Longitude: -4.7418 / 4°44'30"W

OS Eastings: 205204

OS Northings: 58067

OS Grid: SX052580

Mapcode National: GBR N1.SZSM

Mapcode Global: FRA 08Y0.JJ9

Entry Name: Church of St Ciricius and St Julitta

Listing Date: 10 February 1967

Last Amended: 28 August 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70934

Location: Luxulyan, Cornwall, PL30

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Luxulyan

Built-Up Area: Luxulyan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Luxulyan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Luxulyan

Listing Text

LUXULYAN LUXULYAN
SX 05 SE
7/180 Church of St Ciricius and St
- Julitta
10.2.67
GV I

Parish church. Mid-late C15, with south porch of slightly later C15; late C19
restoration. Granite ashlar, slate roofs with ridge tiles and raised coped verges;
granite dressings.
West tower, nave and chancel in one, north aisle, south aisle and south porch.
Perpendicular style.
3-stage tower on moulded plinth with weathered string courses and embattled parapet.
West side has pointed arched doorway with hood mould and relieving arch, recessed C19
double doors with strap hinges. 3-light window above with 4-centred arch and hood
mould; 2nd stage to south has slate ventilator. 3rd stage all sides a 3-light bell-
opening with 4-centred arch, cusped lights and upper tracery, slate louvres. North
east stair tower has slate ventilation lancets at each stage and embattled octagonal
turret.
Chancel east gable end is stepped forward behond the north and south aisles, with
continuous plinth; 4-light east window with 4-centred arch, hood mould with moulded
stops and cusped lights with upper tracery.
5-bay north aisle has all 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads and hood mould,
cusped lights with central light taller, upper tracery; between 2 windows to left and
3 to right, the rood stair tower, with pitched slate roof and lancet. The west gable
end has similar window, east gable end also, but with all 3 lights the same height.
6-bay south aisle has porch in 2nd bay from left. All windows on south side as on
north side of north aisle, some with tracery and mullions replaced in C19. East
gable end has 3-light window with 4-centred arched head and hood mould, cusped ogee
lights of equal height. West gable end has 3-light window with pointed arch and hood
mould, pointed arched cusped lights of equal height with upper intersecting tracery.
South porch on plinth which is not continuous with south aisle plinth, with tall
embattled parapet. Tall 4-centred arched doorway with roll moulding and quatrefoils
in spandrels, square hood mould with mask stops and moulded string course. Above the
string course, an image niche with cusped head and brattished top, 3 turrets carved
below.
Interior : Tower has pointed arched hollow-chamfered north door to stair, ceiled in
C19. Tall 4-centred tower arch with moulded imposts. Nave and chancel have
continuous C19 ceiled wagon roof, in the chancel with moulded ribs and cusped panels
between ribs. All walls have plaster removed. Nave and chancel have 6-bay arcade to
north and south, all 4-centred arches with Cornish standard piers, of Pevsner 'A'
type, all with rings on abaci except 2 piers to north east with quatrefoils carved on
abaci. The north aisle has 12-bay C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, moulded wall-
plates partially replaced in granite, plaster ceiling. Upper doorway to rood stair
to north; at east end, cusped piscina in south wall. South aisle has 13-bay C15
wagon roof, with moulded ribs and wall-plate, some bosses remaining. At east end, 4-
centred arched piscina in south wall. By south east window, left jamb cut back as an
image stand; by right jamb, carved figure of an angel holding a shield. The south
porch has granite floor, benches to sides, holy water stoup to right of doorway.
Inner doorway has 4-centred arch, with roll mouldings.and central concave mouldings;
C19 door with strap hinges. Stone vaulted roof in 4-bays, each of 2 lozenge shaped
cusped panels; moulded stone wall-plate.
Fittings: Norman stone font in nave, of Bodmin type, circular bowl with carved outer
sides on central shaft, 4 outer shafts each surmounted by a carved head; on granite
plinth. C19 wooden pulpit in nave, on granite base, incorporating wooden panels of
heraldic carving. Pair of sanctuary chairs in chancel, probably mid C17, tall back
with geometric carving and winged cherub to top, no arms. Plain late C19 pews in
nave and aisles.
Monuments in north aisle: slate tablet with nowy head and laudatory quatrain, to
Matthew Wellington, 1794; slate tablet of C20 commemorating Walter Hicks, 1636; slate
tablet with carved urns, to Henry and Ann Udy, 1789; slate tablet with nowy head and
incised head of cherub with wings, to Loveday Williams, 1733 fine baroque monument
with pilasters, broken segmental pediment with shield of arms and helm to top,
batwinged skull on apron, convex oval inscription inscription panel with moulded
surround and Latin inscription, to Joseph Carveth, vicar of the parish, 1728.
Monuments in south aisle: slate tablet with nowy head and floral border, to Nicholas
Avery, 1796, by N. Philip; classical marble monument with spear and fasces on
pilasters, cornice and pediment with shield of arms, to Sir John Colman Rashleigh of
Prideaux, 1847 and other members of the family; slate tablet with nowy head, to
Elizabeth Rosevere, 1765; slate tablet with nowy head and incised cherub with wings,
admonitory verses, to Joan Avery, 1785, by Henry Colliver.
Tower west window has fragments of mediaeval glass including shields of arms; chancel
east window has stained glass of the saints, erected in memory of Silvanus Trevail,
1903. Other windows with early C20 glass.
(Sources : Radcliffe, E. : Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970).

Listing NGR: SX0520858067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.