This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6556 / 50°39'20"N
Longitude: -4.617 / 4°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 215112
OS Northings: 87264
OS Grid: SX151872
Mapcode National: GBR N7.81VJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 176B.R30
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67399
Location: Davidstow, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Davidstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Davidstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 18 NE
2/132 Church of St David
Parish church. Probably C15. Extensively restored in 1875 by Hine of Plymouth; the
restoration financed by the Pearce family.
Snecked stone rubble with roughly coursed ashlar slate stone to tower. Slate roofs,
nave and chancel in one.
Plan: In probably C15 or early C16 the church comprised nave and chancel, 5 bay
arcades to wide north and south aisles and west tower of 3 stages. Prior to the
restoration Polsue described the church as far beyond mediocrity in its design and
sculptured ornamentation. In circa 1875 the outer walls of the chancel and north and
south aisles were rebuilt, the roofs largely replaced and the church refurnished.
Exterior: Fine tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses and crocketted finials.
Rectangular stair turret on north side. Windows in north and south aisles with 3-
light Perpendicular C19 tracery and 5-light windows with C19 Perpendicular tracery in
chancel and east end of north and south aisles. Gabled C19 south porch with waggon
roof reusing earlier carved wall plate. South door of fine quality with 4-centred
hollow chamfered arch with carved florets in hollow.
Interior: Walls unplastered. Slate flag floors. 2 centred tower arch. C19 waggon
roofs with part of reused carved wall plate in chancel. C15 5-bay arcades to north
and south aisles with type A (Pevsner) piers moulded bases and capitals. Unusual
font possibly C15 or earlier; square base to bowl with large curved spade stops and
chamfered sides. Round moulded shaft, originally also with 4 thinner shafts at
corners. Remains of circa C15 bench ends in east end of south aisle and nave.
Memorials: fine ledgers stones including those of Richard Betenson and Thomas
Bettenson, 1668 and 1693, John Parlon of Treglasta (qv) 1693, Francis Nicholls of
Trehane (qv) 1674, and William. Pearse 1638. Memorial to Pearse family in porch,
erected by rate payers of Davidstow to express thanks for new church.
East window of south aisle signed by O'Connor and Taylor, London, 1876.
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970.
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1867, reprinted 1974.
Listing NGR: SX1511287264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings