This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9811 / 52°58'52"N
Longitude: -1.7316 / 1°43'53"W
OS Eastings: 418118
OS Northings: 342674
OS Grid: SK181426
Mapcode National: GBR 499.11N
Mapcode Global: WHCFC.CBNG
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81388
Location: Edlaston and Wyaston, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Edlaston and Wyaston
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Edlaston St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 14 SE PARISH OF EDLASTON AND WYASTON EDLASTON LANE
4/47 (South Side)
13.9.67 Church of St James
Parish church. Early C14, 1682, c1870 and 1900 by E. A. Minty of London
brother of the incumbent at the time. Coursed rubble and squared sandstone, and
sandstone ashlar. Plain tile and lead roofs. Plain parapet to nave. West
Vestry and bell turret, nave with south porch, and chancel. Irregular South
elevation of nave. Gabled South porch with plain chamfered arch. To the right
high up, a 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights under a flat head. To the
right again a 3-light window under a flat head, with C19 cusped ogee lights.
Three buttresses with many set offs. Beneath the parapet is a circular sun dial.
The chancel was probably rebuilt in 1682, the date is carved on a stone in the
east wall outside. It has a chamfered plinth, no window openings to the north
and a 2-light flat headed window to the south with cusped ogee lights, the upper
parts of the tracery filled in. 3-light east window of c1870, with reticulated
tracery. The lower part of the window has an unusual stepped arrangement of
small pierced trefoils and quatrefoils in roundels, containing coloured glass
forming a reredos within. The nave has an irregular north elevation with buttresses
of varying sizes, a blocked C19 flat headed doorway and a 2-light window with cusped
ogee lights under a flat head. West vestry and bellcote of 1900. Lean-to vestry
with coped walls and a 2-light west window with cusped pointed-arched lights
with almost straight shanks. Tall thin ashlar bellcote with diamond plan angle
piers, a small pitched plain tile roof and lead spike. Twin arched bell-openings.
Chamfered round-arched south doorway. Plain interior with rendered walls. Double
chamfered tower arch. Nave roof with cambered tie beams. In the north and south
walls are several corbels from the earlier roof. At the east end of the nave is
the octagonal stone bowl of a font. At the west end of the nave a small font with
octagonal bowl and base. Three charity boards dated 1765. C14 double chamfered
chancel arch on damaged moulded capitals.
Listing NGR: SK1811842674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings