History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Plumpton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Egton with Newland, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1996 / 54°11'58"N

Longitude: -3.0548 / 3°3'17"W

OS Eastings: 331287

OS Northings: 478718

OS Grid: SD312787

Mapcode National: GBR 7M3W.FB

Mapcode Global: WH83B.1PMW

Entry Name: Plumpton Hall

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75861

Location: Egton with Newland, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Egton with Newland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Egton cum Newland St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ulverston

Listing Text

SD 37 NW,
17/88

EGTON WITH NEWLAND,
Plumpton Hall

18.05.53

II*

House. Mid to late C16; date stone reading: "W A/1706" and early C18 extension;
later alterations. Roughcast stone rubble, part now exposed, slate roofs.
L-plan, two storeys. North range is C18, the south elevation of seven bays, central
entrance plan. Windows are sashed with single glazing bars and horns, no
window to 7th bay of 1st floor; blocked entrance to 1st bay and central
entrance with moulded jambs, embattled lintel, label mould, segmental-headed
panel and three ball finials; C20 door. Large gable-end stack projects at
junction with older part. West wing of two bays, paired sashed window and small
light to ground floor, sashes above, one with vertical glazing bars; south
gable end has later lean-to extension extending to west as gabled projection;
gable-end entrance in C20 glazed porch. West elevation has gabled wing to
northern end, which has glazed entrance and two sashed windows, that to 1st
floor in originally larger opening; three stair lights and lateral stack with
set offs and rounded shaft to centre, and single-storey gabled wing. North
elevation his irregular fenestration; ground floor has blocked opening under
flat arch, blocked square window and sashed window with flat arch; older part
has sashed window in originally wider opening and closet light. 1st floor
has sashed window, stair window with sash with glazing bars, small square
casement and blocked window under flat arch; old part has casement. Eastern
end has large projecting lateral stack, probably a later alteration; older
part has lateral stack with set offs and rounded shaft, possibly a later
alteration. East gable end has signs of removed stack and blocked fireplaces.

INTERIOR: entrance with date stone over now covered by later wing. Older wing
has chamfered beams and some C16 moulded beams; part of C17 partition; spiral
stair of oak baulks, 2-fielded panel door; 1st floor has chartered door frames
one with Tudor head; door with strap hinges; bolection moulded fireplaces;
also to later wing, which has bolection moulded panelling and doors; stair,
possibly ex-situ, has square newels with pendants turned balusters and ramped
handrails; armorial panel to window: John Sawrey.


Listing NGR: SD3128778718

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.