History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dorton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.82 / 51°49'12"N

Longitude: -1.0165 / 1°0'59"W

OS Eastings: 467887

OS Northings: 213944

OS Grid: SP678139

Mapcode National: GBR 9ZT.V49

Mapcode Global: VHDV1.BJH4

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42448

Location: Dorton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Dorton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Dorton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Boarstall

Listing Text

SP 61 SE DORTON

6/67 Church of St. John the
Baptist
21.12.67

GV II*

Parish church. Originally C12, with C13 S. porch and C14 S. aisle,
altered C15 and C16. Mid C17 tower built into W. bay of nave. Very
much restored 1904. Coursed rubble stone, ashlar quoins and chamfered
plinth. W. tower is timber-framed with weatherboard cladding and
pyramidal roof. All roofs are tiled. Nave has restored C15 2-light
cusped window with hoodmould at W. end, 2 1904 3-light traceried
windows and a 1904 chimney to N., and a lancet window to S. S. door
with moulded arch and jambs. Gabled porch with restored C15 double
chamfered arch, and an earlier blocked light in E. side. S. aisle is
gabled to S. and has moulded string below eaves. Restored 2-light
window with ogee tracery at E. end of aisle, 2-light cusped window
with hoodmould to S. Chancel has C16-C17 windows: wide lancet to S;
2 rectangular lights to N.; and small E. window with 2 arched lights.
Interior: W. bay of nave has C17 timber partition with narrow
panelled screens flanking arch to tower, and 2 arches above to gallery.
C19 roofs, the nave with 2 original moulded tie beams. Altered stoup.
Short S. arcade to aisle with 2 double chamfered arches on octagonal
piers. Wide similar chancel arch. Cusped piscina in S. aisle.
Fittings: medieval S. door; font with C12 circular basin on later
octagonal base,and fine cover of 1631; early C17 arcaded alter rails;
other fittings C19.
RCHM I p. 131-2.


Listing NGR: SP6788713944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.