History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2242 / 53°13'27"N

Longitude: -1.7093 / 1°42'33"W

OS Eastings: 419504

OS Northings: 369722

OS Grid: SK195697

Mapcode National: GBR 467.ST1

Mapcode Global: WHCD6.Q773

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 12 July 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158598

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80450

Location: Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Ashford in the Water

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ashford-in-the-Water Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ashford

Listing Text

SK 19 69 PARISH OF ASHFORD IN THE WATER CHURCH STREET
11/19 (North Side)
12.7.1967 Church of Holy Trinity
GV II

Church. C12, C13 with C14 alterations, largely rebuilt 1868-70 in Decorated
style by JM & H Taylor. Coursed gritstone rubble, gritstone dressings. Plain
tile roofs. Stone coped gables and parapets. Western tower, nave, north nave
aisle and chancel aisle, south porch and chancel. C13 two stage tower. Central
buttress to west with twin lancet over. Moulded stringcourse above. Twin semi-
circular headed bell openings to all sides. Clock faces below to north and south.
Above, moulded stringcourse and parapets with C14 ridgeback coped embattlements
with steeple corner finials. Pointed C19 mullioned and transomed window with
reticulated tracery to north. North elevation - 3-light flat headed window with
trefoil headed lights and dripmould over with angular scroll labelstops. Triple
stepped buttress to east. Two similar windows and buttresses beyond chamfered,
pointed C19 doorcase with dripmould over and single light, trefoil headed window,
to east. To extreme east, chamfered four-centred arch door with square dripmould
and 2-light ogee cusped window with transom. Low parapet wall above. Coping
divide roof between nave and chancel. East chancel aisle window C19 pointed
mullion and transom window with panel tracery. To south, C19 east 3-light window
with cusped intersecting tracery. Chancel has triple stepped corner buttresses
and corner steeple finials. South elevation from east - tall cusped lancet with
four-centred arch light below transom. Dripmould over. Chamfered pointed C19
doorcase beyond and triple stepped buttress, To west, 2-light transomed window
similar to lancet. Large gabletted triple stepped buttress to corner of nave.
Beyond to west, 3-light flat headed, transomed window with trefoil headed lights
above, 4 centred arched lights below. Similar window beyond south porch. Porch
has plinth with moulded, pointed doorcase to south. Above stepped, blind, cusped
panels. Inner door has refused C12 tympanum from original church, depicting tree
with lion and hog to sides. Five re-used C12 voussoirs over. Interior - C14
chamfered, pointed tower arch with moulded capitals. Heavily restored three bay,
C14 north arcade, stepped and chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with
simple capitals. C19 chancel arch with chamfered soffit, supported on corbelled
out red marble columns with lily capitals. Three bay chancel, pointed arch to
organ bay. To east, cusped archway and piscina. East window has 1872 stained
glass. North aisle, west window, dated 1878, by Morris & Co. C19 roofs with
cusped timbering, contemporary pews. Two Ashford marble tombs, one to Greens
of 1846,other to Henry Watson, founder of marble industry, of 1786. Large hatchment
of 1724 in tower. C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil stem.


Listing NGR: SK1950469722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.