This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3244 / 51°19'27"N
Longitude: -2.3707 / 2°22'14"W
OS Eastings: 374265
OS Northings: 158431
OS Grid: ST742584
Mapcode National: GBR 0R2.TQN
Mapcode Global: VH96S.VZK3
Entry Name: North Entrance to Welllow Tunnel, 100 Yards to North of White Baines, Bull's Hill
Listing Date: 19 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32411
Location: Wellow, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Wellow
Built-Up Area: Wellow (Bath and North East So
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 7458 WELLOW C.P.
12/65 North entrance to Wellow
Tunnel, 100 yards to north
of White Baines, Bull's
North entrance to Wellow Tunnel. Circa 1800 for Somersetshire Coal Canal. The
surveyor for the canal was William Smith, "the Father of British Geology", under
the supervision of John Rennie. The engineer was William Bennet. Coursed,
squared rubble with freestone dressings. Semi-circular arch with keystone.
Band. Pilaster strips to either side and high coped parapet. The interior of
the tunnel is masonry lined. The southern (Midford-Radstock) branch of the Coal
Canal was completed in 1798 but was abandoned in 1815 when a tramway was laid
Listing NGR: ST7426458430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings