This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1218 / 53°7'18"N
Longitude: -1.4042 / 1°24'15"W
OS Eastings: 439970
OS Northings: 358459
OS Grid: SK399584
Mapcode National: GBR 6BM.CSN
Mapcode Global: WHDFW.DSKM
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158790
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79424
Location: Shirland and Higham, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE55
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Shirland and Higham
Built-Up Area: Stonebroom
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Shirland St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 35 NE PARISH OF SHIRLAND & HIGHAM CHESTERFIELD ROAD
4/36 (East Side)
Church of St Leonard
Church, C15, C17, restored 1848 and 1929 and chancel much rebuilt. Massive
sandstone blocks, except chancel of coursed squared sandstone. Gritstone
dressings. Copper nave and nave aisle roofs, C20 concrete tile chancel roof.
Embattled nave, nave aisles and tower with ridgeback copings and crocketed
pinnacles. Stone coped gables. Shallow plinth. Western tower, clerestoried
nave, nave aisles, north vestry, south porch and chancel. Exterior: three
stage western tower with stepped diagonal buttresses to parapet level. Four-
centred arched west door with continuous moulded architrave and moulded hood.
Above, pointed 3-light window with trefoil headed lights and transom. Moulded
hood with carved stops. Over, on second stage, clock face and stringcourse.
Y-tracery, louvred bell openings in four-centred arches to all sides. Embattled
parapets with corner and central pinnacles. North nave aisle has buttresses to
centre and west corner. Pointed arched doorcase with cavetto moulded architrave
to west. To east, two C15 flat headed 3-light windows withuoefoil headed lights,
pierced cusped spandrels and Tudor dripmoulds. Above, three flat headed C17
3-light clerestory windows with semi-circular headed lights and incised spandrels.
Three crocketed pinnacles to parapets over. To east, gabled north vestry with
four-centred arched C19 doorcase, C19 2-light window, similar to clerestory windows
and single light window beyond. Four-centred arched C19 east vestry window with
panel tracery. Larger, more complex, similar style east window. Continuous sill
band below. South chancel wall has C15 cusped 3-light window, as in north aisle.
To west, 2-light window with cusped ogee tracery. South nave aisle has
3-light windows, similar to northern clerestory windows, to east wall and east of
south wall. Three similar over in clerestory. To west of nave aisle, another
flat headed cusped 3-light window, as in north nave aisle. Stepped buttresses
to corner and between windows. South porch with stone slab roof. Four-centred
arched door with niche over. Cavetto moulded inner door. To west, flat headed
2-light window with trefoil headed lights and Tudor dripmould. Similar embattle-
ments and crockets as to north. Interior: three bay C15 arcades with octagonal
columns, moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. Similar tall tower
arch. Chancel arch has chamfered soffit supported by moulded corbels. To north,
C17 3-light window to east of north aisle, C19 king post nave roof, scissor truss
roof to chancel. Large segmental arch through to north organ bay in chancel. To
east, pointed door to vestry. Beyond, to east, large C15 wall tomb with large
crocketed ogee arch, cusping below. Pinnacle pilasters to either side. Alabaster
base with carved coats of arms. To south wall of chancel, inserted alabaster
plaque of two men and two women kneeling at prayer stools. All decapitated.
Also, two C18 wall memorials. Fine alabaster tomb in north nave aisle to Revel
family of 1537. Carved with two life size figures on top. Sides have cusped
panels with coat of arms, and twisted moulding between. Also grand wall memorial
of 1706 to John Revell. Another,of classical inspiration,of 1774 to James Laverack.
Glass mostly C20,fragments of early glass to clerestory windows. C15 octagonal
font with carved decoration in quatrefoils to each side.
Listing NGR: SK3997058458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings