This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4035 / 50°24'12"N
Longitude: -4.8327 / 4°49'57"W
OS Eastings: 198796
OS Northings: 59796
OS Grid: SW987597
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.JRVV
Mapcode Global: FRA 07RZ.K1S
Entry Name: Church of St Gomonda
Listing Date: 10 February 1967
Last Amended: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70980
Location: Roche, Cornwall, PL26
Civil Parish: Roche
Built-Up Area: Roche
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Roche
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 95 NE
5/230 Church of St Gomonda
Parish church. C14, largely rebuilt mid C15; in 1822 substantially altered for the
Rev. Thomas Fisher, later alterations, probably to the south porch, and restoration
of 1890 by J. D. Sedding. Tower in squared granite, granite rubble, with granite
dressings. Polyphant arcade. Slate roofs with ridge coping tiles, raised coped
verges to the north transept.
Plan West tower, nave and south aisle, north transept, chancel and south porch. The
north transept is said to be on Norman foundations, largely rebuilt in the C14. The
tower is of C15. In 1822, the nave, chancel and south aisle were rebuilt, the south
arcade removed and the east front formed as one gable end. At some time after this,
the south porch was probably rebuilt. In 1890, J.D. Sedding carried out a
restoration, which re-instated the arcade between the south aisle and the nave, and
renewed the roofs. There was a further proposal in 1900 for a vestry, which was not
built, only the doorway through the east wall of the transept. Perpendicular style.
3-stage tower on moulded plinth, with set-back weathered buttresses rising to
embattled parapet with polygonal corners, each supported by a carved figure or mask;
no pinnacles. String courses to each stage. The west doorway has a 4-centred arch
with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels, square head with hood mould and square
stops; plain C19 door. 4-light C15 Perpendicular window above, with Y tracery and
cusped lights, hood mould and relieving arch. The top stage has 3-light bell-opening
to each side, with 4-centred arch, cusped lights and upper tracery, slate louvres and
hood mould. Clock at 2nd stage to east and north.
3-bay nave without plinth, has 2 north windows of 1822, with 4-centred arch an
The north transept is of a single bay with gable end to north with cross finial, one
similar early C19 window in north gable end stair descending to cellar to west, to a
4-centred arched doorway hollow-chamfered, with studded door. C19 east doorway with
The south aisle is of 6 bays, with raised coped verges and cross finial. Windows of
1822, with intersecting tracery, porch in 2nd bay from west. The east gable end has
a window of 1890, a copy of the tower west window, of 4-lights, with cusped lights
and Y tracery, with hood mould.
Gabled south porch has raised coped verges and cross finial, on plinth. 4-centred
arched outer doorway, chamfered, with cast iron gates with diamond finials. Inner
doorway is a tall 4-centred arch with roll-moulding and hood mould, much rebuilt,
with C19 studded double doors. Granite floor and C19 arched-brace roof.
The chancel has large east window of 1890, as at east end of aisle, of 6 lights, with
cusped lights, Y tracery and hood mould with angel stops. Cross finial.
Interior Tall 4-centred arch to tower; tower has north west door to stair, hollow-
chamfered, with C19 studded door. Stone newel stair. The tower arch has triple
shafts to sides with a concave moulding between each shaft, 3 orders of mouldings to
arch, convex and concave. Nave and chancel in one, with wagon roof of 1890, ceiled
over the chancel; similar roof to south aisle. The south arcade is of 6 bays, in
polyhant, with standard A-type piers and lightly Tudor arched heads. Plain 4-centred
chamfered arch to north transept, and at upper level to the east of the arch, the
rood stair door, hollow-chamfered, with 4-centred arch and step stops. 2 steps
remain at upper level on the north transept side. North transept also has C19 roof.
Fittings: Fine late C12 Bodmin-type font in south aisle, in Pentewan stone; a large
bowl on central stem with 4 corner shafts with bases. The shafts end in carved
angels' heads, much restored and With one angel replaced. The bowl has interlaced
snakes under chevron rim. In the nave, a pulpit, probably by Sedding, in Polyphant,
on plinth with flight of steps. Royal arms over the south door, oil on canvas,
probably cica 1800. Slate monument in the north transept, with incised nowy head,
central cherub's head with wings, crossed bones to left and skull to right. Latin
inscription and English verses, to Richard Treweeke, rector of the parish, 1732. The
dedication is also refered to as St Gonandus, or St Gomond.
Sources: Radcliffe, E. : Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Creswell Payne, H.M.:
The Storey of the Paris of Roche 1946.
Listing NGR: SW9879659796
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings