History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesleyan Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Teath, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6274 / 50°37'38"N

Longitude: -4.758 / 4°45'28"W

OS Eastings: 205034

OS Northings: 84486

OS Grid: SX050844

Mapcode National: GBR N1.9TXM

Mapcode Global: FRA 07XD.XX0

Entry Name: Wesleyan Chapel

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 68655

Location: St. Teath, Cornwall, PL33

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Teath

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Teath

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Delabole

Listing Text

ST TEATH TRELIGGA
SX 08 SE
4/218 Wesleyan Chapel
-
GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Church now used as store. 1829 (datestone). Stone rubble.
Cement washed rag slate roof with hipped ends.
Plan : rectangular plan with entrance in front hipped end.
Exterior : Single storey. Plank door to entrance with flat dressed stone arch and
plaque with datestone above. Left hand side wall has two 2-centred dressed stone
arches to window openings, the margin glazing bars of the sash windows partly
replaced. 2 horned sashes with intersecting glazing bars originally lit rostrum at
'east' end.
Interior not inspected.
Treligga became a regular preaching place in 1816 and in 1829 Nathaniel Northey
joined T. P. Rosevear and others in formations of trust to erect chapel on land
obtained by G. Martyn of Helland. In 1835 a bitter dispute between the reformers and
Wesleyans led to the trustees of Treligga obtaining a legal injunction preventing the
Wesleyan superintendent from entering the chapel. The trustees copy is held in the
offices of Connexional Chapel Department, Manchester.
Shaw, T. Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963 1963


Listing NGR: SX0503484486

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.