This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2511 / 53°15'4"N
Longitude: -1.7422 / 1°44'31"W
OS Eastings: 417299
OS Northings: 372709
OS Grid: SK172727
Mapcode National: GBR JZ8V.M8
Mapcode Global: WHCD0.6JNZ
Entry Name: Cressbrook Mill
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80978
Location: Litton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, SK17
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Litton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Tideswell St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 17 SE PARISH OF LITTON UPPERDALE LANE
3/66 (West Side)
12.7.67 Cressbrook Mill
Cotton mill, now disused. 1814-15 for William Newton. Rubble limestone, partly
rendered, with gritstone dressings and quoins. Hipped Welsh slate roof with
octagonal wooden cupola with ogee lead roof. Three storeys, plus basement, constructed
of timber beams and cast iron supports. Spiral stone staircase in projecting bay to
west. North elevation of twelve, plus two bays. The twelve bays symmetrical with the
centre four advanced beneath a pediment. Three tiers of twelve windows, the top ones
slightly smaller. Projecting stone lintels and sills. Some original glazing bar
sashes and small paned fixed lights. Clock face in the pediment. Two bays set back
to the right with four windows to the left, now blind, with iron Gothick glazing bars.
These are probably the remains of the original mill of 1779 which stood at right angles.
Three windows to the right, enlarged. Wheel pit to the north west. South elevation of
eleven bays, four-four-three, the centre four bays advanced beneath a pediment.
Three tiers of eleven windows as on the north side. Clock face in the pediment. The
clock, which works the two faces from the same mechanism, and the cupola were added
in 1837 to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Victoria. The cupola is octagonal with
round-arches, with projecting keyblocks and impost blocks. Modillion cornice and ogee
lead roof. The three bells are inscribed 'Thomas Mears of London Founder 1837'.
Lower, C20, building with sawtooth roof, attached along south side and not of
special interest. The mill closed down in 1965.
Listing NGR: SK1729972709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings