This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0516 / 53°3'5"N
Longitude: -1.45 / 1°26'59"W
OS Eastings: 436965
OS Northings: 350627
OS Grid: SK369506
Mapcode National: GBR 6CC.L87
Mapcode Global: WHDG7.PKQD
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 29 November 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79114
Location: Ripley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Ripley
Built-Up Area: Heage
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Heage St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 35 SE RIPLEY CHURCH STREET, Heage
3/70 Church of St Luke
Church. 1646-61 re-using some earlier materials, with addition of 1826 plus 1933
addition and minor alterations. C17 part of coursed rubble stone with ashlar
dressing and quoins, plus graduated stone slate roof with stone coped gables on
plain kneelers, 1826 addition of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressing and
plain tile roof with stone coped gables and octagonal stone bellcote to north gable
end which has lancets to each side with hoodmoulds and stone roof with foliage
finial. T-plan, low 3 bay C17 part with south porch running east-west with 1826
addition at right angles to west end. South gable wall of 1826 part has steps up
to pointed flush doorcase with metal clock-face above. West wall has four large
lancets with returned hoodmoulds and Y-tracery metal windows with glazing bars.
North wall blank except for central buttress, square to base and octagonal over,
which supports the bellcote. East elevation has similar window to western ones,
to south side. C17 part has 3-light Perpendicular east window, three C17 2-light
recessed and chamfered mullion windows to south side with gabled porch between
western two, and similar window to north side with 1933 vestry added to west. Porch
has double panelled door below plain lintel inscribed 'JW 1752' and to west is a
stone with inset lead inscription 'G 1661 P'. Simple pointed arched inner door
flanked by stone benches. Vestry has 2-light window and door to east also and 3-
light flat headed window to north with semi-circular headed lights and hoodmould.
Above in the gable is datestone inscribed 'JM 1933'. To west of vestry is another
2-light C17 style window and to east is a large buttress. Interior of earlier part
has raised and fielded panelling to dado height, C19 scissor truss roof, and two
trefoil headed painted commandment plaques to either side of altar. 1826 part has
painted flat ceiling with moulded plaster cornice, C19 organ to north end and C12
circular font bowl on C19 octagonal stone stem. 1826 hatchment over south door.
Plain C19 pews throughout. Two brass plaques on north wall of earlier part, one
charity plaque of c1705 and one memorial to Joseph Statham, c1809.
Listing NGR: SK3696550627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings