This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.14 / 50°8'24"N
Longitude: -5.3557 / 5°21'20"W
OS Eastings: 160316
OS Northings: 32052
OS Grid: SW603320
Mapcode National: GBR FX49.ZGB
Mapcode Global: VH12W.3RZ1
Entry Name: Blowing House Cottage
Listing Date: 1 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65761
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 SW BREAGE GODOLPHIN
4/63 Blowing House Cottage
Cottage incorporating tin stamps. C17, with cottage mostly C18 extended into stamps
C20. Painted granite rubble walls, painted roughcast blockwork, slate sills and dry
slate roof. Early C18 rubble stack with slate drip and tapered top on right hand
gable, C20 chimney on left hand gable.
The cottage plan with near-central entrance to lobby and stair between two rooms.
Left hand end has stamps with back and side walls of stone, front wall originally
open (built up C20 in rendered blockwork work and gable and rear walls raised) C20
extension rear left giving overall L-shaped plan.
2 stories. South front has roughly symmetrical 3 window cottage to right with
original front door now a C20 window and circa early C19 hornless sashes to first
floor, C20 horned copies to ground floor. C20 two window extension built into stamps
left. In front of this the 'plat' (platform) for stacking the tin ore and an ancient
stone lined pit for the overshot waterwheel which powered the stamps (in use till
Interior: Right hand room has large original quoined fireplace with C20 granite
lintel (replacing timber) and early C18 granite lined oven.
This: building, though much altered, is part of the historically very important
Godolphin tin works. Sir Francis Godolphin was a great innovator in the tin industry
and introduced the process of 'wet stamping' whereby water ran through the ore under
the heads of the stamping mill. The storage pond, leat system and 'buddle pits'
(circular tanks in which the ore was separated from other materials by agitation)
exist as does the 'blowing house' itself (q.v.) This is a site of crucial importance
to industrial archaeology.
Information via John Schofield from S. E. Schofield who found and investigated the
site in the 1950's;
De Re Metalica by Georgius Agricola 1556, Survey of Cornwall by Richard Carew 1602.
Listing NGR: SW6031632052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings