History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Speen Church (Baptist)

A Grade II Listed Building in Lacey Green, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6903 / 51°41'24"N

Longitude: -0.7799 / 0°46'47"W

OS Eastings: 484432

OS Northings: 199759

OS Grid: SU844997

Mapcode National: GBR D4B.TYK

Mapcode Global: VHDVR.FSJ3

Entry Name: Speen Church (Baptist)

Listing Date: 26 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46338

Location: Lacey Green, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Lacey Green

Built-Up Area: Speen

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Lacey Green

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hampden Row

Listing Text

SU 89 NW LACEY GREEN CHAPEL HILL (SPEEN)

7/68 Speen Church (Baptist)

-

- II

Baptist church. Earliest part documented 1802, vestry added to right 1817,
extended to rear 1834. Hall added to left 1970s. Original part is of
flint with dentil brick eaves and old tile roof, hipped to left. 2 storeys,
2 bays. Ground floor has semi-circular arched windows with barred
wooden casements and flint arches. 3-light barred wooden casements above.
Round window to centre over flush-panelled door with semi-circular flint
arch and blind tympanum. Vestry to right is dated TG 1817 on brick over
door and has other dated and initialled bricks in door jambs. Flint with
brick dressings. Flush panelled door, paired barred wooden casement
above. Similar narrow wing to rear is dated 18 TA 34 on stone tablet, and
has 2 arched windows and 2 paired casements. Single storey hall with
flat roof, tiled parapet and barred wooden casements. Interior: gallery
of c. 1830-40 around 3 sides with simple stick balustrade, on wooden
column shafts; pulpit with similar balustrade to centre of N. wall; rows
of hat pegs along W. wall; removable shutters to vestry.


Listing NGR: SU8443299759

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.