This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7928 / 51°47'33"N
Longitude: -0.8901 / 0°53'24"W
OS Eastings: 476641
OS Northings: 211038
OS Grid: SP766110
Mapcode National: GBR C1P.HS0
Mapcode Global: VHDV9.J68H
Entry Name: Dinton Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43094
Location: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stone with Dinton and Hartwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SE DINTON-WITH-FORD AND UPTON ROAD (south side)
3/157 Dinton Hall
Country house. Circa 1500, enlarged and substantially rebuilt late C16,
altered C17 and 1855-1857. West wing and main south front rubblestone,
also east elevation of service ranges fronting churchyard. Remainder
in brick. Old tile roofs. Two storeys plus attics, service blocks two
storey. Half H plan with wings extending to south and service ranges at
east. North front main block of 4 gabled bays, each with two 2-light
arched leaded windows. Entrance in 1855 porch in second bay from right
in Jacobean style. 2 niches replace the windows above. Band course.
Most brick is late C16. Upper floor windows flanked by broad Doric
pilasters. Windows and pilasters cement dressed to simulate stone. Cornice
above, then 4 gables with stone coping and finials. Oval recesses between
first and second and third and fouth gables. Right hand windows to first
floor have lower sills and are staircase windows. Behind are range of eight
flues, the outer three each side diagonally set, the inner two square.
To west is stone gabled bay with cross casement in stone to ground floor.
5-light C17 mullioned attic window with cornice. Beyond is two bay range
that is reputed to have been chapel. Service range to east of house has
5 bay ground floor colonnade and 4 four-light stone mullioned upper
windows. 4 gables over. South front. Main block has 7 bays of stone cross
casement windows. Arched entrance at right. Band course and moulded
cornice. Four 2-light hipped dormers to attic. Left wing has
ashlar bay window, then 5-light attic stone mullioned window with cornice.
At right east wing has 2 cross-casements. Then service blocks in brick.
Most of this front represents 1855-1857 work (hopper heads dated 1857) and
replaces C18 sashes. Many diagonally set chimneys. Interior. Mainly 1855
onwards features; two Jacobean style staircases and much panelling. The
north west projecting wing has in its cellar corbelled supports for hearth
and chimney breast above, Circa 1500,consisting of 4 vertical partitions
and three shelves dividing it into 12 niches or square recesses. The
partitions are coved out and have moulded medieval corbels at top and
bottom. On first floor in middle room facing south is 4-centred arched
fireplace with moulded jambs and C17 added carved surrounds. Some C18
panelling in minor rooms, but mostly C19 interiors. North front has C16
Flemish pictorial and armorial glass, also medieval English stained glass.
The house was originally rebuilt c1500 for Archbishop Warham, and was owned
by the Regicide Simon Mayne who died in the Tower of London in 1661.
RCHM I. 125. MON. 5.
Listing NGR: SP7664711036
Other nearby listed buildings