History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lullington, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7136 / 52°42'48"N

Longitude: -1.6315 / 1°37'53"W

OS Eastings: 424987

OS Northings: 312944

OS Grid: SK249129

Mapcode National: GBR 5FV.VQF

Mapcode Global: WHCGR.X270

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 19 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82954

Location: Lullington, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE12

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Lullington

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Lullington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Coton in the Elms

Listing Text


SK 21 SW PARISH OF LULLINGTON MAIN STREET
4/22 (West Side)
19.1.67 Church of All Saints
GV II*

Parish church. Late C14, spire rebuilt in 1776, nave and
chancel heavily restored 1861-2 and south aisle added. Coursed
squared stone with stone dressings, chamfered plinth and
continuous moulded sill stringcourse. Steeply pitched plain
tile roofs with diaper work and crested ridge tiles, also stone
coped gables with ridge crosses to nave and chancel east gables,
plus chamfered eaves band. Nave with south aisle, lower chancel
and large western tower. Three stage tower has deep moulded
plinth, and almost full height stepped buttresses to all
corners, those to western corners angled and each with gablets
to third stage and to the top. South-east corner has a slightly
advanced staircase projection with slit windows up to the bell
stage. First stage of tower is larger than upper two stages
with chamfered band to top and a pointed C19 2-light geometric
tracery window to west. Second stage has trefoil headed lancets
to north and south sides, and bell stage has tall pointed cusped
Y-tracery, louvred openings with returned hoodmoulds to all
sides. Above there is a broached stone spire which has
Y-traceried gableted lucarnes on four sides with moulded
stringcourse over and four more gableted lucarnes with trefoil
headed openings near top of spire on four different sides.
North elevation of nave has three 2-light geometric tracery
pointed windows. North vestry to east has a Caernarvon arched
western door, a 2-light flat headed north window with trefoil
headed lights and a similar east window with high relieving arch
of alternating red and yellow stone over, plus angle buttresses
to either corner. North chancel elevation has a 2-light window
similar to nave windows and east elevation has a similar 3-light
window flanked by clasping buttresses. Above in the top of the
gable is a small trefoil window. South chancel elevation has
two similar 2-light windows, that to east partly filled in to
base and decorated with relief designs. South aisle has another
similar 2-light window to east and two 3-light squatter pointed
geometric tracery windows to south. Between the windows and to
each corner of aisle there are stepped buttresses. All windows
to nave, aisle and chancel have hoodmoulds with nail-head stops
and all except north nave windows have pointed relieving arches
of alternating red and yellow stones. Beyond windows to west,
the aisle has an advanced gabled doorcase with ridge cross to
top of stone coped gable, and a richly moulded pointed doorcase
with contrasting red stone nookshafts and hoodmould with foliage
stops. Interior has 1861 three bay arcade with double chamfered
pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and a
wide chamfered pointed C19 chancel arch with soffit mould
resting on column corbels with stiff leaf capitals, plus
hoodmould. Tower has a low pointed arch with triple chamfered
arch dying into splayed jambs, plus hoodmould with foliage stops
and the chancel has a moulded four-centred arch into the organ
bay. Both nave and chancel have C19 arched braced roofs on
stiff leaf corbels and both have a continuous sill stringcourse.
The chancel is panelled up to sill height with Minton tiles and
has a marble reredos with inlaid semi-precious stones, a small
trefoil headed piscina with hood, a simple sedilla to base of
the eastern window, mid C19 brass altar rails and choir stalls
and organ of similar date. The nave has similar date pews with
inset quatrefoils to the bench ends, and an octagonal stone
pulpit with cusped headed orange marble panels to each side and
a polished black marble column supporting the lectern. Beneath
the tower is an octagonal granite font resting on a central pier
with four colonnettes, each side of the bowl decorated with
inset quatrefoils. Broken original stone font sits on the floor
nearby. There are three memorials in the chancel, one enamelled
brass plaque to Lady Law who funded the restoration of the
church, one simple white marble wall memorial to Charles
Colville who died 1886 and a gothick aediculed one to George
Colville of c1860. In the nave there are four brass wall
plaques, all early C20, two commemorating First World War
victims. Most of the windows have clear glass but the east
window has brightly coloured stained glass inscribed J B
Capronnier Buxelles Fecit 1862'. The north chancel window also
has stained glass, given in memory of Alice Colville, by Ward
and Hughes, and the east window of south aisle has glass by
Christopher Webb of c1962, also the west window has mid C19
stained glass.


Listing NGR: SK2498712944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.