This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1137 / 50°6'49"N
Longitude: -5.185 / 5°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 172386
OS Northings: 28592
OS Grid: SW723285
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.8WND
Mapcode Global: FRA 080Q.CSF
Entry Name: Trevassack Farmhouse Including Rose Cottage
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159076
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66046
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE
8/61 Trevassack Farmhouse including
- Rose Cottage
Farmhouse, subdivided. Circa mid C17 extended and remodelled in circa early C18,
subdivided in circa mid to late C19 and restored in late C20. Granite rubble with
large dressed granite quoins and lintels, whitewashed at rear. Grouted scantle slate
roof with granite coping to gable ends with shaped kneelers and early crested ridge
tiles. Large granite stack at left hand gable end with weathering and tapered cap;
brick shaft to right hand gable end stack and to rear lateral stack.
Plan: Probably a 3-room and through or cross passage plan; the lower end to the left
was the kitchen heated from a gable end stack, the hall has a rear lateral stack and
the large inner room was probably a parlour heated from a gable end stack. In circa
early C18 outshuts were added at the back and it was probably then that the passage
between the hall and kitchen was replaced by a stair hall inserted between the hall
and inner room. In circa mid to late C19 the house was divided into 2 and a second
staircase put in the outshut behind the hall.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Long asymmetrical 4 window range. All the windows at the
front are late C20 with top opening lights. The passage doorway to the left of
centre has been blocked and a new doorway with a late C20 glazed door has been
inserted to the right of centre into the higher end of the hall.
At the back the outshut to the right has a lower roof and one small C19 single fixed
light window of 6 panes. The outshut to the left has 2 late C19 2-light casements
and a C20 plank door between.
Interior: On the ground floor there are some early C18 6-panel doors, some with
fielded panels. On the first floor there are fielded 2-panel doors. The kitchen has
a large open fireplace with a bracketted shelf and exposed soft wood rafters. The
hall has an early C20 mahogany chimney-piece and the inner room's fireplace has been
rebuilt in the C20. The late C19 straight staircase at the higher end has turned
balusters and newel. The mid to late C19 staircase in the outshut has stick
balusters and turned newels. On the first floor there are C18 plank and muntin
Roof: C20 soft wood kind-post trusses.
In 1649 Edward Tremayne, Lord of the monor of Carwythenach, held Trevassack which
was 2 holdings of 29 and 14 acres.
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall.
pages 138 and 139.
Listing NGR: SW7238628592
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings