History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Golant Methodist Church with Attached Schoolroom

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Sampson, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3632 / 50°21'47"N

Longitude: -4.6427 / 4°38'33"W

OS Eastings: 212140

OS Northings: 54811

OS Grid: SX121548

Mapcode National: GBR N6.VF9D

Mapcode Global: FRA 1852.M3T

Entry Name: Golant Methodist Church with Attached Schoolroom

Listing Date: 28 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71002

Location: St. Sampson, Cornwall, PL23

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Sampson

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Sampson (or Golant)

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Golant

Listing Text

ST SAMPSON COWSHIT LANE, Golant
SX 15 SW
9/253 Golant Methodist Church with
- attached schoolroom
II

Methodist church with attached schoolroom. Circa 1875, incorporating earlier
building as the schoolroom. The church is in slatestone rubble, rendered, with slate
roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. The schoolroom is in slatestone rubble
and cob, partly painted, slurried slate roof with half hip to end; the rear slope in
asbestos slate with ridge tiles.
Plan: single auditorium plan, with the side facing Cowshit Lane treated as the front;
entrance to front leading to an internal porch. The schoolroom is attached to the
right side, as a lower ground level, with access internally from the right side of
the church (liturgical west end) and with a door at the right end.
The church is on a stepped plinth, with 2 tall round-arched windows, each of 2
lights, with roundel at the top; plain double doors with overlight to right. 2
granite foundation stones set in the lower part of the wall, one inscribed: LOCAL
PREACHERS STONE MR LANYON, the other: SUNDAY SCHOOL STONE MR JAGO. The left side
has 2 similar windows, and a cellar door to right with strap hinges. The rear is not
rendered, and has 2 similar windows in brick surrounds. Right gable end blind.
The schoolroom is attached to right, with lower roof level, on rough footings. To
the front, two 16-pane sashes of mid C19. Right end has plain door. At the rear,
the upper level is in cob, with an iron cross tie.
Interior Internal porch in pine boarding. Ceiled roof. Wooden rostrum with front
panels in cast iron, raked pews to rear of rostrum also lath panels of cast iron to
front, rising in 3 tiers. Rear central organ. Short straight stair to each side of
rostrum with cast iron balustrade, and similar communion rail. Auditorium has plain
wooden pews and plain dado panelling. The rear wall has a wide segmental arch with
panelled screen and plain double doors leading to the schoolroom.

Listing NGR: SX1214054811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.