History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II Listed Building in Belmont, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7865 / 54°47'11"N

Longitude: -1.5288 / 1°31'43"W

OS Eastings: 430397

OS Northings: 543615

OS Grid: NZ303436

Mapcode National: GBR KFR2.TY

Mapcode Global: WHC4K.HY6G

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 10 May 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110000

Location: Belmont, County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Belmont

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Belmont

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

BELMONT BROOMSIDE LANE
NZ 34 SW
(North side)
7/11 Church of St.
10/5/67 Mary Magdalene
GV II

Parish church. 1857 by William Butterfield. Minor late C19 alterations;
1901 vestry by C.H. Fowler. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings;
plinth to vestry. Welsh slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. 4-bay nave
with north porch; 2-bay chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Steps
up to boarded north door, with leaf-decorated strap hinges, in deeply-moulded
2-centred-arched surround, under wood-bracketed castslide roof. Ovolo-moulded
cusped ogee tracery in windows, mostly 2-light, with alternate-block surrounds
and sloping sills. South-west nave window more elaborate and with dripmould.
Decorated 3-light east window has beakhead-stopped dripmould; west window has
plate tracery with 3 ogee-headed lights. Short buttresses, and continuous
stepped sill string, to chancel, vestry and north nave.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced roof with
collars and short king-posts, having 2 tiers of thin wood arches between each
collar and apex, and bolted arch braces; tension rods stirrup-fastened to
king-posts. Deep dripmould over high chamfered chancel arch with inner
ovolo-moulded arch on shafts with fillets. Similar dripmould to vestry door.
Ovolo-moulded window surrounds with double-chamfered sill steps. 1892 reredos
by Butterfield. Early C20 pews by Thompson of Masham. Chancel panelling with
traceried arch over sedilia. East window dated and signed 1923 by W. Glasby
London.


Listing NGR: NZ3039743615

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.