History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarage of St Mary Magdalene with Yard Wall and Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Belmont, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7864 / 54°47'11"N

Longitude: -1.5262 / 1°31'34"W

OS Eastings: 430567

OS Northings: 543606

OS Grid: NZ305436

Mapcode National: GBR KFS2.CZ

Mapcode Global: WHC4K.JYGJ

Entry Name: Vicarage of St Mary Magdalene with Yard Wall and Gateway

Listing Date: 16 October 1975

Last Amended: 14 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159147

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110002

Location: Belmont, County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Belmont

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Belmont

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

BELMONT BROOMSIDE LANE
NZ 34 SW
(South side)
7/13 Vicarage of St.
16/10/75 Mary Magdalene
with yard wall
and gateway
GV II (formerly listed
as Vicarage)


Vicarage with yard wall and gateway at rear. 1861-2 by Walton and Robson
of Durham and London. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and
plinth; Welsh slate roof. Stone rubble wall with ashlar coping and gateway;
wrought iron gate. Gothic style. Main block 2 storeys, 2 bays under front
gables; left service wing has 2 lower storeys, 2 bays; left extension one
storey, 2 bays. Boarded door with forked strap hinges at left in 2-centred-
arched surround under dripmould. Plate tracery in 2-light entrance-hall
window and in window above entrance; right bay has canted bay window with
steeply-pitched hipped roof; blank above, except for quatrefoil in gable
peak. Flush ashlar band at first-floor sill level, interrupted by bay window.
Service wing has 2-light stone-mullioned windows in left bay, single light
in first floor at right. One-storey extension has vehicle doors and 2 single
lights. Roof has steeply-coped ridge chimneys. Right return of 2 bays has
trefoil heads to 2-light windows in left bay; projecting bow in right bay
has shouldered heads to three 2-light windows. First-floor ashlar band
continues from front. All windows have sloping stone sills.

At rear, flat-coped wall c.one metre high steps up to form gateway and
continues to link to outbuildings. Wrought iron gate has scrolls of baroque
character.

Sources: plans in possession of vicar, signed Walton and Robson of London
and Durham, and stamped March 1861 with plan no. 5216; Morris and Harrison's
Commercial Directory of County Durham 1861, p.15, giving Walton and Robson
architects at 45 North Bailey and 18 Adam Street.


Listing NGR: NZ3056743606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.