History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Timber-Cutting Building and Office Approx.20 Metres South of Count House at King Edward Mine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2041 / 50°12'14"N

Longitude: -5.2758 / 5°16'32"W

OS Eastings: 166339

OS Northings: 38917

OS Grid: SW663389

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.T95W

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.H4RD

Entry Name: Timber-Cutting Building and Office Approx.20 Metres South of Count House at King Edward Mine

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159182

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66550

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE
SW 63 NE
8/5 Timber-cutting building and
office approx.20 metres south
of Count House at
King Edward Mine

II*
GV
Timber-cutting building, stores and office. Built by Camborne School of
Mines between 1900 and 1909; restoration in progress at time of survey
(1988). Mostly weather-boarded timber frame, but with some brick, raised
on a concrete plinth, and with slurried slate roofs on slightly differing
levels. L-shaped plan composed of timber cutting range on east-west axis,
with office forming south wing at west end. All single storey; the western
half of the main range, of 7 bays facing north, has a doorway in the 7th
bay and large 6-pane windows in the other bays; at the left end the coped
gable of a fire-proof cross wall breaks through the roof, and beyond this is
one more bay in matching style; to the east of this a lower continuation
of the range, containing the stores, has a similar cross wall breaking
through the roof, and the only openings are 2 low-set small square
windows beyond this. The office wing, of 3 bays, has 3 windows in the side
walls, and the entrance in the south gable by a raised doorway at the
right-hand corner, with double-doors approached by a flight of concrete
steps. Rear: 4-bay addition in angle, parallel with main range, with a door
to the 1st bay and 2-light windows, roof hipped at west end; a doorway to
each part of the stores, with 12-pane windows. Interior not inspected. The
item forms part of a uniquely complete set of turn-of-the-century tin
mining buildings on this site. Reference: A.W.Brooks, op.cit.


Listing NGR: SW6633938917

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.