History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stamps Engine House and Attached Stamps Approx 75 Metres South-East of Count House at King Edward Mine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2041 / 50°12'14"N

Longitude: -5.2752 / 5°16'30"W

OS Eastings: 166383

OS Northings: 38917

OS Grid: SW663389

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.T9CB

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.J42D

Entry Name: Stamps Engine House and Attached Stamps Approx 75 Metres South-East of Count House at King Edward Mine

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66552

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE
SW 63 NE
8/7 Stamps engine house and
attached stamps approx 75 metres
south-east of Count house at
King Edward Mine
GV II*

Stamps engine house and associated stamps. Built by Camborne School of
Mines in 1902, slightly altered, and restoration in progress at time of
survey (1988). Weather-boarded timber frame and corrugated galvanised
sheet, with roofs of slurried slate and corrugated sheet respectively. The
engine house, which is on higher ground than the stamps but attached to it
at the north-east corner, and on a parallel axis, is rectangular in plan and
single-storeyed; its gabled and symmetrical 3-bay north facade has a
central porch with a door in the left side, two 6-pane windows in the
front, and mono-pitched roof, rectangular windows with 2-pane top-hung
casement openings above 6 fixed panes, and projecting weather-boarded
verge to the roof; the east side has 2 matching windows. Attached to the
west side, and set back, is the tall north gable wall of the stamps, which
is also weather-boarded, and has a central doorway at a high level; its
high west side has symmetrical fenestration, with a 9-pane fixed window
at each end of the ground floor and a similar but more closely-spaced pair
of windows at a higher level. Interior: the engine house walls are lined
with vertical pine boarding, with a dado, but the former 90-hp compound
engine has been removed; in the other part, however, the original 5-head
set of Fraser and Chalmers Californian stamps in a heavy timber frame,
purchased from the Paris Exhibition in 1900, is still in situ.
The item is the principal element in an uniquely complete set of turn-of-
the-century tin mining buildings on this site. Reference: A.W.Brooks, op.cit.


Listing NGR: SW6638338917

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.