This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7484 / 52°44'54"N
Longitude: -1.6409 / 1°38'27"W
OS Eastings: 424337
OS Northings: 316815
OS Grid: SK243168
Mapcode National: GBR 5FF.RY2
Mapcode Global: WHCGK.R5TT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Last Amended: 12 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82977
Location: Rosliston, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE12
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Rosliston
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Rosliston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 21 NW PARISH OF ROSLISTON MAIN STREET
2/45 (North Side)
19.1.67 Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as
'Church of the Blessed
Parish church. C14 steeple, restored 1802, nave and chancel
built 1819. Ashlar with stone dressings, plain plinth and
graduated slate roof with ridgeback copings on moulded kneelers,
that to eastern nave gable with ridge cross, plus coved cornice.
Small western steeple with nave plus south porch and lower
chancel bay. Two stage tower has a massive low clasping
buttress to base with central steps on west side leading up to a
small ogee headed C14 door plus hoodmould with foliage finial
which forms the corbelled base of a trefoil headed moulded niche
above. Bell stage is narrower and has a chamfered band to base.
North and south sides have trefoil headed louvred lancets, west
side has a simple louvred lancet with hoodmould and eastern side
has similar blocked opening. Broached stone spire over has
small lucarnes on four sides. North elevation has three
chamfered pointed Y-tracery windows with transomes and leaded
lights to nave, and a raised pointed doorcase with panelled door
to chancel. East chancel elevation has similar transomed
Y-tracery central window flanked by lower chamfered lancets.
South elevation similar to north except central window exists
only above transome level. South porch below has raised pointed
outer arch, simple chamfered single light windows to either
side, ridgeback copings to flush parapets and a similar pointed
inner door with double panelled doors. Interior has three
stepped chamfered pointed arches into the chancel bay and
similar low arches between centre and side parts of the chancel
bay. Nave has flat ceiling with reeded cornice and a pointed
raised doorcase into the tower. Simple fittings with early C20
oak altar rails, a late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit, late C19
bench nave pews, and an octagonal stone font with moulded base.
West end of nave has a late C19 organ and a vestry to south side
divided off by late C19 timber screen with trefoil headed arcade
to top. South side of nave has two re-set white marble oval
wall memorials, to the Broune family, both of c1760 and north
side has grey marble memorial to Albert Burton who died 1917.
Above the tower door is a painted pointed plaque inscribed
'Upwards of two hundred free and unappropriated sittings have
been obtained in this church by the aid of the Society for the
Enlargment and Building of Churches and Chapels and by other
voluntary Subscriptions 24 October 1819'. All nave windows have
clear glass, chancel windows have coloured glass.
Listing NGR: SK2433716815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings