This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2112 / 50°12'40"N
Longitude: -5.0926 / 5°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 179443
OS Northings: 39148
OS Grid: SW794391
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.CX06
Mapcode Global: FRA 086G.RTB
Entry Name: Devoran Primary School and Perimeter Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63337
Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Feock
Built-Up Area: Devoran
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Devoran
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 7939 FEOCK MARKET STREET, Devoran
7/62 Devoran Primary School and
perimeter walls and railings
National School, now Cornwall County Council, and perimeter walls and railings.
1846. By J.L. Pearson extended circa 1871, later C19, and early C20. Slatestone
rubble, now partly rendered to simulate stone,with granite quoins, copings and
dressings for architectural detail. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends.
Originally 1 large schoolroom and smaller room adjoining to left (north) fording T-
shaped plan plus entrance porch in angle to front. Extended with large schoolroom at
right angles to rear, later partly demolished, and enlarged to right (south), finally
cloakroom additions to left (north) and further cloakroom to rear (west) of south
wing. Tudor style.
Single storey. West front has original entrance to left of and slightly projecting
from original schoolroom gable end. Entrance porch has 4-centred arched granite
doorway with stepped label enclosing shield and surmounted by granite ashlar coped
bellcote with original bell in-situ. Schoolroom gable end to right has original 4-
light mullioned window with stepped lights and ventilator over. Copings to gable
presumably removed when reslated.
Interior has original arch-braced roof structures but hidden by later C20 ceilings.
Some old doors and dado boarding.
Perimeter walls to north, east and west and adjoining market house to south.
Original wall survives to west with original granite monolith gate-piers and wrought
iron gate. Gate-piers each have cruciform finial of 4 gablets. Walling is ramped to
left (north) of gateway. North wall has shaped granite coping with hooped iron
railings. East walling has lavatories, formerly earth closets built against it.
Walls included for group value.
Although altered, enough survives to show how similar this school was to The Old
School, qv., at Feock also by Pearson. It also makes an important contribution to
the village centre.
Listing NGR: SW7944339148
Other nearby listed buildings