This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7742 / 54°46'27"N
Longitude: -1.5082 / 1°30'29"W
OS Eastings: 431737
OS Northings: 542252
OS Grid: NZ317422
Mapcode National: GBR KFX7.8C
Mapcode Global: WHC4R.T80C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159348
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109959
Location: Sherburn Village, County Durham, DH6
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Sherburn Village
Built-Up Area: Sherburn (County Durham)
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shadforth and Sherburn
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SHERBURN FRONT STREET
NZ 34 SW
3/78 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. 1872 by Austin and Johnson. Squared, rock-faced stone in
narrow courses with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Aisled nave, south
aisle continuing across west bay of chancel; chancel with organ chamber/vestry
on north; tower and spire in angle between vestry and north aisle. Early
English and Geometrical styles.
Tall 3-stage tower: square-plan lower stage with pointed north door; small
broaches at base of octagonal second stage; octagonal belfry in ashlar has
trefoil-headed bell openings under linked hoodmoulds, parapet with angle
pinnacles and squat spire. Tall 3-bay nave: pointed 3-light window in
diagonally-buttressed west end; moulded south doorway in west bay inside
aisle; small paired lancets in clerestory; steep roof with coped gables.
Buttressed 4-bay south aisle with pointed doorway at west, depressed-pointed
3-light windows under hoodmoulds and pent roof. Similar 3-bay north aisle.
Lower 2-bay chancel with sill string, 2-light windows on north and south and
3-light window in diagonally-buttressed east end. Steep roof with coped
gable. 2-bay gable-fronted organ chamber/vestry has sill string, similar
windows and steep roof.
Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of hollow-chamfered, pointed arches on octagonal
piers. Similar 2-order chancel arch on foliage corbels. Similar arches also
to organ chamber and Lady Chapel. Trefoil-headed piscina and encaustic-tiled
sanctuary floor in chancel. Nave has arch-braced king-post roof; chancel has
wood barrel-vaulted roof. Organ, c.1874 by Harrison, said to be the earliest
still in existence from their Durham works.
Listing NGR: NZ3173742252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings