History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red River Bridge and Boundary Stone

A Grade II Listed Building in Marazion, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1281 / 50°7'41"N

Longitude: -5.4805 / 5°28'49"W

OS Eastings: 151345

OS Northings: 31141

OS Grid: SW513311

Mapcode National: GBR DXVB.NG7

Mapcode Global: VH12Z.Y1KL

Entry Name: Red River Bridge and Boundary Stone

Listing Date: 15 December 1955

Last Amended: 9 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 69905

Location: Marazion, Cornwall, TR17

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Marazion

Built-Up Area: Marazion

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Marazion

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Ludgvan

Listing Text

MARAZION

SW 53 SW1/3

Green Lane

Red River Bridge and boundary stone

(formerly listed as "Marazion Old Bridge")

15.12.55

II

Road bridge over confluence of Red River and stream and with parish boundary stone. Probably C18. Granite rubble with granite voussoirs and squared granite parapet copings fastened with iron cramps.

Plan: Two-span bridge of single carriageway width splayed out over the abutments; semi-circular-on-plan refuges at either side and flanking the carriageway are randomly spaced granite fenders built into the parapet. Upstream there is a bank between the streams and downstream there is a triangular-on-plan cutwater where the streams converge. In the south-eastern refuge is a probably early C19 round-headed granite monolithic boundary stone incised with the letter 'M' for Marazion parish. The bridge is humped in the middle and the arches are pointed.

This is a rare unaltered C18 road bridge, saved from being widened by the construction of another bridge nearby in 1837 (Marazion Bridge qv).

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Ludgvan at List entry 1143629. This entry was removed from the List on 20 October 2017.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.