This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7682 / 54°46'5"N
Longitude: -1.5219 / 1°31'18"W
OS Eastings: 430858
OS Northings: 541581
OS Grid: NZ308415
Mapcode National: GBR KFT9.9J
Mapcode Global: WHC4R.LDHY
Entry Name: Sherburn Hospital Chapel
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109965
Location: Shincliffe, County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shincliffe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
SHINCLIFFE A 181
(East side, off)
12/84 Sherburn Hospital
28/2/52 Chapel ( formerly
listed as Sherburn
Chapel in Sherburn
Chapel of Sherburn Hospital. Circa 1181 nave with early C13 tower and chancel;
badly damaged by fire 1864 and largely rebuilt, with added north aisle, 1868
by Austin and Johnson. Squared and dressed sandstone with graduated green
slate roofs. Orientated north-west to south-east, ritual directions in
description: west tower; continuous nave and chancel with north aisle.
Romanesque with Geometrical Gothic tower.
Broad, square, angle-buttressed 3-stage tower with restored openings. Tall
lower stage with round-arched doorway on south and pointed lancets above.
Blind arcades on second stage, each with 3 pointed arches: central lancet on
west; colonnettes and central pair of lancets on south and north. Short top
stage has blind arcades, each with 6 trefoil-headed arches on colonnettes.
Restored embattled parapet on corbel table. Continuous 3-bay nave and 3-bay
chancel. Nave has original south wall with flat-buttressed bay divisions and
round-arched windows with sill string and continuous hoodmould. Windows have
square-cut inner order and roll-moulded outer order. The rear arches have
colonnettes and roll moulding which continues along sill. Restored chancel
has buttresses with offsets and similar 1868 windows. Pair of small round-
arched windows on east ends of chancel and aisle. Projecting eaves and a
continuous, steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. North aisle, on both
nave and chancel, has off-centre buttress, chamfered round-arched windows and
a steeply-pitched roof.
Interior. South wall of chancel contains a double piscina, with damaged
foliage capitals on squat shafts, and 3-seat sedilia with original jambs;
both with restored trefoil-headed arches. 1868 north arcade of pointed arches.
Small brass in sanctuary floor inscribed: THOMAS LEAVER PREACHER TO KING
EDWARD THE SIXTE. HE DIED IN JULY 1577. C19 braced king-post roofs.
(C.W. Gibby, Sherburn Hospital, 1976).
Listing NGR: NZ3085841581
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings