This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1185 / 50°7'6"N
Longitude: -5.1663 / 5°9'58"W
OS Eastings: 173745
OS Northings: 29068
OS Grid: SW737290
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.LN0F
Mapcode Global: FRA 082P.T9K
Entry Name: Constantine Youth Centre Including Forecourt Area Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66086
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Built-Up Area: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE PONJERAVAH
8/102 Constantine Youth Centre including
- forecourt area walls and gate-piers
School. Dated 1836, converted into a youth centre in the C20. Coursed granite
rubble with granite dressings. Grouted scantle slate roof with gabled ends and red
clay ridge tiles. There is a truncated ventilator over the ridge of the main range.
Plan: Externally the plan consists of a main range with a cross-wing at the right
end which does not project at the back and only slightly at the front where there is
a single storey porch in the left hand angle. Originally the building must have been
2 storeys and the wing was probably separated internally from the main range. In the
C20 the floors and partitions were removed and the building is now one large hall.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window range with the gable end of the 2-storey
and attic cross-wing projecting slightly on the right with a single storey gable-
ended porch projecting in the angle to the left of the cross-wing. Large chamfered
granite windows with hoodmoulds, all the first floor windows have been blocked but
the ground floor windows have C20 3-light wooden frames. The gable end of the cross-
wing has a narrow single light attic window with a dripmould, now blocked. The porch
has a chamfered granite doorway with run-out stops and a C20 plank door on the left
side, and a small C20 sash on the front gable end in a chamfered granite frame with a
hoodmould and a datestone '1836' above.
The left hand gable end has similar windows with hoodmoulds to the main range front
windows; they are blocked.
The rear elevation has tall windows with unchamfered granite lintels, the right hand
window of the main range has a 3-centred arch frame with spandrals.
Including the former playground area wall at the front, low granite rubble wall with
cemented capping; 2 pairs of single granite monolith gate-piers with semi-circular
tops and 2 wrought iron gates.
Interior is now one large hall without floors or internal partitions which have
presumably been removed.
Built as a British School in 1836 and conducted on the Lancaster system. Charles Fox
of Trebah, in this parish, took a great interest in the establishment of the school.
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SW7374529068
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings