History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Normanby Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Normanby, Redcar and Cleveland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5523 / 54°33'8"N

Longitude: -1.163 / 1°9'46"W

OS Eastings: 454236

OS Northings: 517775

OS Grid: NZ542177

Mapcode National: GBR NHBS.0W

Mapcode Global: WHD71.3TGZ

Entry Name: Normanby Hall

Listing Date: 22 June 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159489

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60271

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS6

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: Normanby

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Eston Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Guisborough

Listing Text

NORMANBY CRICKET LANE,
NZ 51 NW
east side (off)
6/22 Normanby Hall
22.6.67
- II

Country house, 1817-26; completed 1858; by Ignatius Bonomi. Margin-tooled
dressed sandstone, with plinth; rendered at rear. Welsh slate roofs with
stone gable copings and large block kneelers. 2-storey, 5-bay entrance
front, the wider centre bay projecting slightly under pediment. Central
renewed 3-panel double doors, up 2 steps, in architrave under floating
cornice; flanked by narrow 8-pane sash windows below stumps of porch removed
c.1970. Sash windows with glazing bars, renewed at right on first floor.
Stone sills. Middle window has shouldered architrave. First-floor band;
moulded eaves cornice. 2-span roof with 4 corniced transverse stacks.
4-bay right return with garret windows. Left return : 6 bays on ground
floor, 5 bays on first floor, with glazed garden door in 4th bay. Both
returns have balustraded parapets linking the roof spans; the left has
tablet inscribed "W.W.J.
1820" Tablet missing from right return. Short
single-storey rear wing. Plain interior with panelled doors, architraves
and leafy-pattern ceiling cornices. Rear extension and outbuildings much
altered and not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ5423617775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.