This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3845 / 50°23'4"N
Longitude: -4.2188 / 4°13'7"W
OS Eastings: 242356
OS Northings: 56196
OS Grid: SX423561
Mapcode National: GBR NS.T26B
Mapcode Global: FRA 2810.XZY
Entry Name: Maryfield House
Listing Date: 26 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61690
Location: Antony, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Antony
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Torpoint
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 NW ANTONY MARYFIELD
3/8 Maryfield House
School, (built shortly after 1847 by W.H. Pole Carew) rebuilt as vicarage for Church
of St. Philip and St. James, remodelled by William White c. 1849 altered as 2 houses.
Sandstone rubble with granite dressings, slate roofs.
Original schoolroom to left, with principal rooms in 2 wings projecting to front,
with paralled end block to right. Longitudinal passage approached from rear entrance
passage with service rooms to rear; to rear right there are grouped around a small
courtyard with a tower to rear right.
Asymmetrical composition in Gothic style.
2½ storeys, front of 2-bay school hall, 2 gabled wings and 2 further bays to end
right. School hall has two 2-light windows at ground floor with shouldered heads, 2
gabled dormers above each with 2-light pointed arched window; raised coped verges,
bellcote with spire, finial and weathervane, stack to front of ridge. Gabled wing to
right has canted bay through 2 storeys with 3-light pointed arched window with
sidelights at groud and first floor, hipped stone roof and bull's eye above. 2nd
gabled wing has ground floor projecting bay with pitched roof and 3-light window with
trefoil heads to lights; 2-light window with shouldered heads at first floor, triple
lancet at attic, central light taller. Set back to right, a pointed arched moulded
doorway with single lancet and gable over. 2-storey block to right with gable ends
to sides, has canted bay at ground floor with 4-light window with pointed arched
heads, sidelights and transom, 2 paired lancets at first floor and tall gabled dormer
above with triplet lancet. Gable end to left has single lancet at attic level, gable
end to right has external stack. The wing to right has a porch to the side, with
pointed arched door with strap hinges, 2-light window with shouldered heads above.
The wing to right has an external stack to the side. The gable end of the school
half has a large 6-light mullion and transom window with shouldered heads.
The right end forms a U-plan, creating an inner courtyard, with single storey
outhouses attached to left, and to the centre, a glazed gable at ground floor and
gable dormer above with paired lancets. To right, a further wing projects, with a
circular porch tower of 3 storeys, with lancets and string course; the tower is
octagonal above the string course, with corbelled eaves and pyramidal stone roof with
finial; pointed arched door. Gable end of wing to right has triple lancet at ground
floor and paired lancet at first floor. At the rear, the wing to right has gable end
with two 2-light windows at ground floor with trefoil heads, arched breathers in
gable end. Rear of wing to left has 2-light mullioned casement and central ridge
stack. To the centre, a porch with pitched roof over pointed arched door.
Interior Staircase has quatrefoil pierced balustrade and chamfered newels with
finials. Drawing room has beamed ceiling with large brackets on corbels and
fireplace with pointed arch and mounted shelt on brackets. The windows in the
drawing room hae plank shutters with crested tops. Study has screen on marble
columns in front of bay window and small granite fireplace wih 2-centred arch. The
interior is virtually complete and has many interesting features designed by White.
Listing NGR: SX4235656196
Other nearby listed buildings