History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2211 / 50°13'16"N

Longitude: -5.3851 / 5°23'6"W

OS Eastings: 158631

OS Northings: 41166

OS Grid: SW586411

Mapcode National: GBR FX23.447

Mapcode Global: VH12G.LPZV

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 14 January 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70133

Location: Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Phillack

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Gwithian

Listing Text

SW 54 SE GWINEAR-GWITHIAN GWITHIAN
CHURCHTOWN
1534/1/39
Methodist Chapel
14.01.1988

GV
II*

Nonconformist (Wesleyan chapel). Circa 1810.
MATERIALS: painted rubble and cob walls, the lifts of the cob clearly visible; wheat-reed thatched hipped roof.
PLAN: small rectangular aisle-less plan with gallery at the rear (west) end and doorway to the north wall.
EXTERIOR: single-storey elevations. North entrance front has late C19 horned sash with coloured margin panes set high up on the left and doorway with [ate C19 door. Similar windows near centre of opposite wall and to centre of east end.
INTERIOR: not inspected but former list description notes: "simple interior with plain plastered walls and canopied ceiling. C19 panelled gallery front with coved cornice rostrum with choir stalls at either side and 2 flights of steps, otherwise much renewed in the C20".
FITTINGS: replaced in 1959. Now the only original thatched Methodist chapel left in Cornwall, very much in the mould of nonconformist vernacular buildings of the Old Dissent such as the Quaker Meeting House at Come-to-Good, Kea. In a national context, this survives as a very rare and outstanding example in the vernacular tradition.
Bibliography
2826 Gwithian (Charles Thomas), 1964.


Listing NGR: SW5863141166

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.