This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1074 / 50°6'26"N
Longitude: -5.3344 / 5°20'3"W
OS Eastings: 161676
OS Northings: 28364
OS Grid: SW616283
Mapcode National: GBR FX6D.HB9
Mapcode Global: VH132.HK8H
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65800
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Breage
Built-Up Area: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 NW BREAGE VICARAGE ROAD, Breage
7/93 The Old Vicarage
Former vicarage. C17 or earlier, remodelled in the C18. Granite rubble with some
granite dressings, part painted. Grouted scantle slate L-plan roof with granite
chimneys over the gables of the main range, the right hand one over external rubble
stack and brick chimney over the gable end of the rear wing.
Described in the Glebe Terriers 4th May, 1680 as having 7 ground rooms; 6 chambers
and a study. The present L-shaped plan doesn't provide for such accommodation,
possibly there were originally 2 wings at right angles to the front or rear, at
either side. The present plan is a main C17 two room range end on to the slope plus
a probably circa late C17 or early C18 range at right angles behind the right hand
room. The main range. originally had a central entrance with possibly the parlour,
left, and probably the hall kitchen on the right, now with enormous blocked
fireplace. Plan remodelled probably in the C19 to create a central unheated room.
The rear wing, now 1 room, has large circa late C17 or early C18 kitchen-fireplace in
the gable wall. The left hand end of the house is built into the ground which is
level with the 1st floor doorway in the gable end. Behind the left hand room is a
single storey service room at right angles and in the angle between the 2 ranges is a
small flat-roofed C20 addition.
Two storeys. Irregular 3 windows south-east front. Originally more symmetrical but
altered probably circa late C19 after the present vicarage was built. The original
wide roughly central doorway is blocked except for a small window, the window opening
over the doorway is the same width as the doorway. The left hand window openings are
greatly reduced in width and the ground floor opening is now a narrow doorway. The
present main doorway is right of middle and there is a wide window on the right.
Above this window is a C18 twelve-pane sash with thick glazing bars, surviving from
the C18 remodelling. The other windows are C20 or reused casements with small panes.
At the left hand side a pier of rubble masonry projects slightly, possibly the wall
thickness of a demolished C17 or earlier wing.
The wing has irregularly disposed openings on the right hand wall with 2 original C18
first floor openings with granite sills. The ground floor openings are probably C19.
Lighting the attic rooms are two C18 hipped roof dormers with twelve-pane 2-light
casements. The left hand side of the wing has 2 wide C18 window openings, one above
the other. Obscured by the C20 extension in the angle is a window with reused
Perpendicular tracery constructed to resemble C14 reticulated tracery said by the
present Vicar to have come from Germoe Church. This faces into the room and may
possibly never have been seen from the outside.
Interior has probably its C17 or C18 floor and roof structure but the 1st floor and
roof was not inspected. The ceiling beams of the wing are probably C17 or C18 as is
tile fireplace with an elliptical arch of granite voussoirs. Pointed plaster arch at
the rear of the former through passage.
As so often with Cornish houses, generations of alterations have changed the building
from its early form, but alterations to this have been few since the C19 and many
earlier features may be concealed.
Listing NGR: SW6167628364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings