This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1104 / 50°6'37"N
Longitude: -5.1935 / 5°11'36"W
OS Eastings: 171764
OS Northings: 28252
OS Grid: SW717282
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.90W9
Mapcode Global: FRA 080Q.GJ1
Entry Name: Former Garden Walls and Gate Piers at Approximately 100 Metres South West of Carwythenack Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159661
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66103
Location: Gweek, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Gweek
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW GWEEK
8/123 Former garden walls and gate-piers
- at approximately 100 metres south
west of Carwythenack Farmhouse
Garden walls and gate-piers of the demolished mansion Carwythenack. Circa early C18.
Slate rubble walls with dressed granite quoins and red brick gate-piers with granite
The walls are on 2 sides of a rectangular field originally a garden. On the long
north side there is a large recess flanked by doorways. On the shorter west side a
pair of large red brick gate-piers in Flemish bond with large granite plinths with
cyma moulding and similarly moulded cornices with granite ogee-shaped caps with
obelisk finials ; both the finials are overgrown with ivy. On the south side of the
garden there is a stone rubble retaining wall because the field to the south is
lower. The east side is open. The now demolished mansion house appears to have been
situated in the north east corner where the ground level is slightly raised.
In the C17 Carwythenack was held by the Chepmans or Chapmans. John Chapman of
Wendron sold it in 1716 to Peter Hill a merchant of Falmouth. William Hill (son of
Peter) probably built the Georgian mansion and walls. In 1820 C.S. Gilbert in his
Survey of Cornwall (p. 780) describes it as the seat of William Robinson Hill " A
handsome square edifice build with reddish stone and a large cupola on the centre of
the roof ...... lately much improved and the plantation, walks and waterfalls
considerably enlarged and beautified". At the end of the C19 the house fell into
dis-repair and was demolished, its materials used to build a new farmhouse at Lower
Sources: Charles Henderson, A Hisory of the parish of Constantine in Cornwall, p.p.
133 to 138.
Carwythenack was formerly in Constantine parish before the parish boundaries were
Listing NGR: SW7176428252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings