This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7613 / 51°45'40"N
Longitude: -1.0655 / 1°3'55"W
OS Eastings: 464594
OS Northings: 207372
OS Grid: SP645073
Mapcode National: GBR B0J.FFY
Mapcode Global: VHCXR.HZ2N
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43240
Location: Ickford, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Ickford
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ickford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 60 NW ICKFORD CHURCH ROAD
4/299 Parish Church of St. Nicholas
Parish church. C12, mostly early C13. Aisles added c1230. Chancel
east and north walls rebuilt, upper stage of tower C14. South porch
C15, altered C16. Rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Old tile roofs,
except over aisles which are leaded. 2 bay chancel, aisled 3 bay nave,
south porch and saddle-back roofed west tower. Chancel bays separated by
stepped buttresses. East window of 3-lights with reticulated tracery.
North side has 2 lancets in deeply splayed reveals. South side has c1360
east window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights under square head, moulded jambs
and label. West bay has lancet, then C13 doorway, then single light C15
window with transom and low side window. Sill and lancet arch springing
string courses. Coped parapet. North aisle has east window of 2 lancet
lights, C16. North wall has at east 3 arched and cusped lights and square
head then narrow lancet, C12 round headed window, high up, early C13 door
with chamfered jambs and round arch then 2-light window. West wall has
2-light window. South aisle has east lancet with corbel at apex,
4-light south window with hollow chamfer mullions, flat head and jambs, C17.
Porch has low pitched C15 gable under C16 steeper gable: 3-light west
window with flat head, 3 cusped lights heavily moulded.West wall of
south aisle has quatrefoil window above lancet. One 3-light dormer at
west end of nave. West Tower of 2 stages. Lower stage has C13 west
lancet, upper storey has single light windows. String below bell
chamber, saddleback roof. North, south and east windows of 2 trefoiled ogee
lights. West window C13 of 2 trefoil lights with tympana under pointed
lancet heads. Interior. Chancel has sill string to north and south
walls, piscina in arched recess of south wall. Chancel arch C13,
altered C15. 2 moulded orders. Cut back caps scalloped to north, stiff-
leaf foliage to south. Moulded abaci, chamfered jambs. Nave arcades of
3 bays, C13, but different detail. Moulded caps on cylindrical columns,
2 chamfered orders. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. One capital of
south arcade foliate. South doorway C13 of 2 orders, inner moulded,
outer chamfered. Moulded east cap, west cap foliage. C17 outer door.
C13 piscina in south aisle. C14 stoup. Chancel roof C15 with collar
trusses, straight braced with ashlar pieces. One tie beam. Nave roof
4 old tie beams. Porch roof C16. Carved and moulded tie beams. Font.
C13 plain circular bowl and stem, moulded base, C13. Chancel east window
glass 1914. Comper glass in north aisle windows, 1918 and 1933.
Monument on north side of chancel to Thomas Tipping, 1595. Corinthian order
on Ionic with black marble columns and complete entablature. Between lower
columns each with kneelers, Inscription at back in strapwork frame with
'Aztec' figures. Above monument shield with arms. Wall tablets to
Thomas Phillips, 1704, architectural, and Elizabeth Phillips; 1735,
architectural with 'curtains'. C17 pews and pulpit, the latter with
canopy enriched with guilloche-ornament. Most fittings by Canon Vernon
Staley, Rector 1911-33, including font cover, tester above altar, altar
rails, lectern, benches and the west gallery.
RCHM I. 214. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP6459207371
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings