This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6167 / 54°37'0"N
Longitude: -1.0806 / 1°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 459473
OS Northings: 525003
OS Grid: NZ594250
Mapcode National: GBR NHW1.VT
Mapcode Global: WHF80.C7P3
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 29 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60294
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Coatham
Built-Up Area: Redcar
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Coatham and Dormanstown
Church of England Diocese: York
REDCAR COATHAM ROAD, south side
NZ 52 NE & NZ 52 SE
1/39 & 4/39 Christ Church
Church, 1854 by Coe and Godwin, from the benefaction of Mrs. Teresa
Newcomen. Late C19 organ chamber. Squared random sandstone rubble with
Bath stone dressings. Welsh slate roofs. West tower, clerestoried and
aisled nave with south porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north
vestry. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. 4-stage tower has
double-chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, vice at south-west
angle and stone broach spire with ornamented metal finial. Double-chamfered
west doorway below chamfered window in 2nd stage. 3 lancets in each face of
3rd stage below openwork clock faces on north, south and west sides.
Chamfered bell openings with tracery and sill band. 4-bay nave and aisles
with offset buttresses between bays. Clerestorey windows triangular with
curved sides. Gabled porch has boarded double doors, with ornamented strap
hinges, in chamfered surround. Lower 2-bay chancel and organ chamber.
Lateral stack on north side; roof has crested ridge tiles. Cross finials on
nave and chancel. Gabled vestry with diagonal buttresses. Interior:
plastered, with Caen stone dressings. Double-chamfered arcades with foliate
capitals on compound piers. Continuous hoodmould with bosses and mask
stops., Clerestorey sill string. Tall tower arch holds glazed wood screen.
Chancel arch with compound responds on enriched corbels. Mintons encaustic
tiled floors in chancel and sanctuary. Double-framed braced collar nave
roof has 2 levels of purlins, ashlar pieces, curved braces and wall posts on
moulded corbels. Good contemporary stained glass in nave. Chancel windows
1858 by G.W. Terry, and Fussel and Clouser (London). East and west windows
1865 by Wailes (Newcastle). Font, pulpit, sedilia, reredos and piscina,
1865 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Plain octagonal font on 4 engaged shafts.
Octagonal pulpit drum on 6 engaged shafts, has offset buttresses at angles
and carved panels. 3-bay sedilia has trefoil-headed openings and angels in
spandrels. 3-bay ogee-headed reredos flanked by traceried niches with
angels in spandrels. Similar piscina with foliate bowl, now altered to
aumbry with Art Nouveau repousé pewter panel on door. Crocketed foliate
canopies and finials are common to sedilia, reredos, aumbry and pulpit
panels. Richly carved 1922 rood beam has pendant vaulting, drop tracery,
brattishing and rood flanked by figures of saints. History: the church is
associated with the Christ Church Sisterhood, the first Anglican religious
community in the north, who from 1854 provided a hospital and medical
services for the people of Middlesbrough and sent trained workers to found
or help medical services in other industrial areas. The church also has
value as a local landmark.
Listing NGR: NZ5947325003
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings