This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5662 / 54°33'58"N
Longitude: -1.0234 / 1°1'24"W
OS Eastings: 463244
OS Northings: 519439
OS Grid: NZ632194
Mapcode National: GBR PH9M.7X
Mapcode Global: WHF87.7HY9
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60015
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS11
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Skelton with Upleatham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ6319 GUISBOROUGH UPLEATHAM
6/158 Church of St.
Church, 1835, by Ignatius Bonomi (Durham). North extension of
1877. Dressed sandstone; Welsh slate roof. Neo-Norman style.
West tower and nave with rectangular recess at east end for
altar. Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses to lower 2 stages
and string courses between stages and continued from imposts of
top-stage openings. Round-headed west doorway with simple
compound mouldings, engaged columns and cushion capitals,
repeated in the single middle-stage and 3 upper-stage, 2-light
openings containing louvres. Corbelled string below plain
parapet. Nave of 3 bays with window surrounds matching that of
the west doorway. Sills and dripmoulds continued as string
courses. South-east window has medieval glass from Old Church of
St. Andrew. Glass by A.S. Thomson & Co. (Leeds), 1894, in south
window. Timber barrel roof. Square Norman font (on mid C19
base) with engaged colonnettes at angles, scalloped capitals and
cushion bases. Each side panel carved with diaper or star
ornamentation in varied forms, and top edge chamfered on
underside. One bell from Old Church of St. Andrew, in belfry.
(V.C.H. Yorkshire North Riding, Vol II, p.413; and J.C.
Atkinson, "History of Cleveland", 1874, Vol II, p.92).
Listing NGR: NZ6324419439
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings