History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Troon Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Troon, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1978 / 50°11'52"N

Longitude: -5.2784 / 5°16'42"W

OS Eastings: 166120

OS Northings: 38230

OS Grid: SW661382

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.TNHR

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.G9C6

Entry Name: Troon Methodist Church

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66617

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Troon

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Treslothan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE NEWTON ROAD
SW 63 NE
(west side)
8/71 Troon
Troon Methodist Church
II

Wesleyan Methodist chapeL Dated 1863 in gable. Snecked killas rubble with
granite quoins and dressings, rubble sides and rear, slate roof. Rectangular
plan, 3x3 bays, gable to road. Two storeys; the gabled 3-bay facade is
symmetrical, and has a wide basket-arched doorway in the centre with
quoined jambs and stepped ashlar voussoirs, panelled double doors and
fanlight with 2 raked glazing bars; tall round-headed windows on each side
and a shorter one over the door, all with quoined jambs and ashlar
voussoirs (and stained glass); and a hollow-moulded cornice to the gable,
which is treated as a pediment and contains a moulded roundel with raised
lettering:-
WESLEY
1863
CHAPEL
The 3-bay side walls have square-headed windows at ground floor, round-
headed above. Interior: horseshoe gallery carried on a beam supported by
cast-iron Tuscan columns with coupled brackets to the projected front,
which is panelled and has consoles and modillions to the top rail, and a
clock in the centre of the east end (facing the pulpit); original benches in
the gallery, in a style reminiscent of the C18, with high plain-panelled
backs and ramped partitions; large and elaborate moulded plaster ceiling
rose; balustraded rostrum with bow-fronted panelled pulpit; apse flanked by
splayed Corinthian pilasters and now filled by organ. A good example of its
type and date, and now the only one in Troon, a second having been
demolished.


Listing NGR: SW6612038230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.