This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8041 / 51°48'14"N
Longitude: -0.9388 / 0°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 473269
OS Northings: 212252
OS Grid: SP732122
Mapcode National: GBR C1F.X1P
Mapcode Global: VHDV2.PX2B
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43285
Location: Nether Winchendon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Nether Winchendon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nether Winchendon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SW LOWER WINCHENDON LOWER WINCHENDON
2/344 Parish Church of St. Nicholas
Parish Church. C13, mostly rebuilt C14. C15 west tower. Limestone rubble
with stone dressings. Old tile roof to chancel and porch, lead to nave.
2 bay chancel,4 bay aisleless nave, south porch and west tower. Chancel
has diagonal buttresses. East window of 3-lights of cusped intersecting
tracery. 2 north windows C14, each 2 trefoil lights with 3 quatrefoils.
2 south windows C15 of 2 cinquefoil lights under 4-centred head. Central
south door. Nave has on north side 2 windows of cinquefoil lights under
4-centred heads, 2-light to east bay 3-light to west bay. East angle
buttress and buttresses flanking west bay. South side of nave has 3
buttresses. East window of 3 cinquefoil lights in four-centred head,
west window of 3 cinquefoil lights and tracery under flat head. Gabled
porch in bay 3 from east, entrance arch with continuous moulded jambs of
2 orders. Single light trefoil side windows. West tower of 2 stages with
half-octagonal south east angle stair turret and embattled parapet. West
doorway with continuous moulded jambs, the arch with flowers. 2-light
cinquefoil with quatrefoil window over. 2-light belfry windows in
Tudor heads. All gables stone coped. Nave has plain parapet. Interior.
Chancel arch C13 of 2 chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds, moulded
caps and bases. Tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, semi-octagonal
responds. Semi-octagonal cap to inner order. Chancel roof has moulded
C15 wall plate. Nave roof dated 'T & G 1827'. Chamfered short kingposts,
acorn pendants below. Shaped double ogee tie beam braces. Battlemented
C15 corbels. C18 communion rails with turned vase balusters and square
newels. Nave has mainly C18 box pews, but squire's pew incorporates C16
traceried panels. C16 pews at west with cut profile ends, restored.
Pulpit c1630 hexagonal with canopy and arcaded panels. C18 west gallery
with panel front on 2 octagonal posts. Font C15 octagonal bowl on moulded
base. Piscina in chancel C15 with ogee head. Sill of chancel south
east window carried down to form sedilia;fragmentary stoup in porch. Stained
Glass: Chancel: East window C15 three leaves. North West Window leopards
head, foliage and Stafford Shield, C15. Nave: South West Window. C15
figure of St. Peter, shield with arms. Chancel south windows have C16
Flemish glass and armorial panels. Nave bay 3 has C18 Creed, Commandments
and Lords Prayer on timber in architectural frame with cornice, reeded
pilasters and pediment over centre panels. Hanoverian Arms in west
Gallery. Brasses. In chancel, 3 of C15 with figures. Monuments. In
Chancel to Tyringham family, Thomas Tyringham 1629 in architrave frame,
broken pediment and cartouche. Others C17 and C18.
RCHM I. 246. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP7326812258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings