This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5449 / 54°32'41"N
Longitude: -1.8413 / 1°50'28"W
OS Eastings: 410361
OS Northings: 516643
OS Grid: NZ103166
Mapcode National: GBR HHLW.4J
Mapcode Global: WHC5R.P1C3
Entry Name: Dial House and Outbuildings Attached to Left and Right
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111119
Location: Whorlton, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Whorlton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 11 NW WHORLTON A67
5/67 Dial House and
to left and right
Small farmhouse with barn attached to left and projecting, former barn (now
converted for domestic use) attached to right. Mid C18 with late Cl9 alterations.
Sandstone rubble brought to course; roofs of sandstone flags; rendered, dressed
Farmhouse: 2 storeys, 3 bays; central C20 door in flat surround within trellis
porch; 4-pane sashes"(intermediate glazing bars removed); in flat surrounds with
square sundial above doorway has incised Roman numerals painted black and
inscription: JAMES HUITSON 1750. Single-storey rear outshut with one 12-pane
sash. Roof has slightly-projecting eaves and coped gables with shaped kneelers;
two corniced gable stacks.
Barn attached to left: single storey with loft over, 3 bays; breather to left,
two C20 openings and a hit-and-miss window to right. Roof has slightly-projecting
Former barn attached to right: single storey with loft over, single bay: large
rough quoins on lower half of wall. C20 casement to right. Right return has
C20 external staircase leading to boarded door. Roof has slightly-projecting
eaves and coped gables with shaped kneelers.
Attached pigsties to rear of left barn not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1036116643
Other nearby listed buildings