This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1676 / 50°10'3"N
Longitude: -5.313 / 5°18'46"W
OS Eastings: 163508
OS Northings: 34984
OS Grid: SW635349
Mapcode National: GBR FX87.F58
Mapcode Global: VH12W.V1MV
Entry Name: The Orangery
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65830
Location: Crowan, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Crowan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crowan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 SW CROWAN CLOWANCE
4/122 The Orangery
Orangery, now office. Circa late C18 probably built for the fifth baronet, John St
Aubyn (1758-1839), re-reroofed circa late C19. Freestone ashlar in diminishing
courses. Steep dry Delabole slate hipped roof behind parapet.
Rectangular plan plus shallow outshut behind part of rear. Classical style.
Single storey. Symmetrical 5 bay south east front with central doorway. Plinth,
rusticated quoins, flat arches with projecting keystones and platband cornice to
blocking course parapet. The window openings are very tall and wide with narrow
piers of masonry between. The windows are 24 pane hornless sashes, C20 copies. C20
glazed double doors with the head rail of the door frame at sash meeting rail level,
the overlight matching the upper sashes of the 4 windows.
Interior has fine C19 chamfered king post roof.
Formerly neglected, now carefully repaired, this orangery gives some idea of the
elegance of Clowance in the C18.
Listing NGR: SW6350834984
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings