This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.778 / 54°46'40"N
Longitude: -1.5602 / 1°33'36"W
OS Eastings: 428388
OS Northings: 542653
OS Grid: NZ283426
Mapcode National: GBR KFK6.00
Mapcode Global: WHC4R.05BG
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110230
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 2842 NE,
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE,
GILESGATE (south side)
Church of St Giles
Parish church. Part of the hospital of St Giles founded 1112 AD; north nave
wall c.1114; chancel late C12; tower early C13 and early C15; c.1873 south
aisle and vestry, north porch. Sandstone, most coursed and squared, with ashlar
dressings; porch snecked sandstone; plinth. Roofs not visible.
EXTERIOR: Nave with south aisle and north porch; chancel with south vestry; west tower.
Square tower of four stages has clasping buttresses flanking restored three-light west
window with Perpendicular tracery; top stages have small square-headed window
and two-light belfry openings, traceried except on east side, below pinnacled
battlements. North wall of nave has three small windows, the west two round-headed
and with shallow chamfered surround, that at east renewed; massive buttresses
define east bay which was original chancel. Later chancel has blocked north door;
shafted round-headed north and south windows with zig-zag moulding; five-light
renewed east window; sill string. Buttressed south aisle has five Perpendicular
INTERIOR: coursed squared sandstone, raised on the north in rubble, in nave and
chancel; tower rubble; C19 work painted plaster with ashlar dressings; panelled
roof on painted corbels and tie beams. Octagonal columns in five-bay arcade and
south organ chamber have two hollow chamfers to two-centred arches. three shafts support
double-chamfered renewed chancel arch; fragment of former chancel arch on north
with two head corbels. Tower arch of two orders has dog-tooth corbels. North door,
re-sited from south, has cushion capitals and zig-zag moulding; deep splays to
nave north windows; chancel windows have water-leaf capitals and zig-zag drip
string. Blocked round-headed doors in chancel and adjacent to north door. Font
in tower has large lead-lined bowl on round pedestal with cushion capital.
In chancel wood effigy of John Heath of Kepier, died 1591, in armour; head rests
on cock-crested helmet, feet on scroll containing two skulls with motto 'Hodie
mihi cras tibi'; Heath arms on shield hanging from renewed wooden chest.
Porch contains fragment of tegulated coped medieval grave-cover.
Listing NGR: NZ2838742654
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings