History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Charles and Presbytery Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Spennymoor, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7114 / 54°42'41"N

Longitude: -1.5938 / 1°35'37"W

OS Eastings: 426271

OS Northings: 535230

OS Grid: NZ262352

Mapcode National: GBR KF9Y.RW

Mapcode Global: WHC4X.HV91

Entry Name: Church of St Charles and Presbytery Attached

Listing Date: 14 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160007

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112266

Location: Spennymoor, County Durham, DL16

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Spennymoor

Built-Up Area: Spennymoor

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Tudhoe Grange

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Byers Green

Listing Text


NZ 23 NE SPENNYMOOR ST CHARLES' ROAD
(South side)
Tudhoe Village

2/65 Church of St.
Charles and
presbytery attached
GV II

Roman Catholic parish church and presbytery attached. 1870 by J.A. Hansom &
Son. 1882 addition of tower and ritual west bay with west porch. Aligned
north-south. Rock-faced sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; Welsh
slate roof with stone gable copings. Decorated style with Perpendicular-style
additions. Nave with north porch, north-west Lady chapel and belltower, west
porch; apsidal sanctuary. Steeply-gabled north porch contains double boarded
doors in 2-centred-arched surround with dripmould. West porch has double
doors in deeply-moulded 2-centred-arch, with pinnacled dripmould, flanked by
paired small windows and outer gabled buttresses, all under steeply-pitched
pent roof flanked by high coped buttresses. Large rose window above with free
tracery. Tracery also in tall 2-light nave windows; high stepped buttresses
define bays; 2 similar windows in half-octagonal sanctuary under corbel table,
each side buttressed. Small ogee-headed lights in Lady chapel with pent roof
and in 3-stage tower. First square stage of tower broached to octagonal
second stage, which has coped set-back to octagonal belfry, with Perpendicular
tracery in 8 lights under high stone spire. Roofs steeply-pitched, that over
sanctuary lower and half-octagonal; stone cross finials. Presbytery attached
to ritual north-east is in plainer style; 2 storeys, 3 bays on return to
church. Plain sash windows, with chamfered stop-chamfered jambs and flat
stone lintels, and wide chimney-stack with offset rising from eaves in third
bay. Gable over first-floor window in first bay. Double-span roof with
chimneys at ends of side furthest from church.

Interior of church: painted plaster with ashlar dressings and boarded dado;
arch-braced panelled roof on corbelled shafts with leaf-carved capitals;
similar roof to apsidal sanctuary. Chancel arch double-chamfered, the inner
on triple shafts with leaf-patterned corbels. Similar treatment to large west
arch with wider chamfer and head-stopped dripmould. 4 round piers support
west choir gallery with Gothic-panelled balcony; similar Gothic treatment to
interior of west porch. Elaborate Gothic altar, with painted panels, brought
1880 from Munich. Well-carved Gothic-style wood pulpit 1907 commemorating
60 years of priesthood of Rev. Provost Watson, who was responsible for the
building. Glass, supplied by H.M. Barnett, Victoria Works, Westmoreland
Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne in 1870, damaged in World War Two by bomb
and restored, includes east windows showing Holy Family; west window, probably
1882, has figures from the Apocalypse. Square font with 4 Frosterley 'marble'
shafts in Lady Chapel now used as base of altar; water-leaf decoration to bowl.

Source: information from Fr. Gunning; and A.J. Coia, Tudhoe St. Charles
Parish, 1858-1983, 1983.

C20 left extension to presbytery not of interest.


Listing NGR: NZ2627135230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.