This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6534 / 50°39'12"N
Longitude: -4.4448 / 4°26'41"W
OS Eastings: 227274
OS Northings: 86602
OS Grid: SX272866
Mapcode National: GBR NG.8448
Mapcode Global: FRA 17LB.S74
Entry Name: Church of St Keria
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67928
Location: Egloskerry, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Egloskerry
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Egloskerry
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 NE
8/36 Church of St Keria (previously
22.11.60 listed as Church of St Kyriacur or
St Coriantus and St Petrock)
Parish church. Consecrated 1222. Norman origins. C15 west tower and possibly C17
south aisle. Stone rubble with moulded plinth to south aisle and to tower. Granite
ashlar south porch. Slate roofs continuous over nave and chancel.
Nave and chancel in one, south aisle, south porch and west tower.
Plan: The Norman church fabric survives in parts of north wall of nave, north
transept, tympanum above blocked north door and reset tympanum above south door,
font and piscina (a rare survival). C15 west tower and probably 5-bay arcade to
south aisle. The church guide attributes the south aisle to Sir John Specott, 1622
and it is possible that the south porch may be of this date. Restored 1879.
Exterior: Church situated on high mound in centre of the village. West tower of 3
stages with a battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. C20 west door and window
and Perpendicular 2-light belfry openings with slate louvers. Much of the
Perpendicular tracery in the south aisle, nave and chancel was replaced during the
C19 restoration, using the earlier openings. Remains of Perpendicular tracery in
east window of south aisle and the chancel and north transept have earlier 1-light
and 2-light lancet windows with cusped heads. Blocked north door to nave with
Norman tympanum above depicting dragon devouring its own tail. Granite ashlar
south porch with 3-centred granite roll-moulded arch and south door arch which has
an empty niche above. Original waggon roof with bosses and moulded ribs all carved
from single pieces of timber.
Interior: Circa C15 tower arch and Norman arch to north transept. C19 waggon roof
to nave and chancel. South aisle with boarded waggon roof which has some of the
probably original moulded ribs, carved bosses and wall plate with C19 boarding. 5-
bay south arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred moulded arches.
Tympanum reset above inner side of south door with Agnus Dei; discovered in south
aisle wall during 1887 restoration where it was used as building stone. C19
furnishings. Norman font with cable-moulded rim and Norman piscina.
Helmet and gauntlet attributed to Sir John Speccott on window ledge at east end of
south aisle wall with alabaster monument probably to Sir Guy Blanchminster in recess
below. Other monuments to Speccott family 1644-1705 on south aisle wall; classical
marble aedicular surround. Also, Rev John King Lethbridge of Tregeare, 1861; Rev.
John Morgan 1792; Grace Speccott of Penheale, 1636; William Sattren of Treludick
1742; Elizabeth Lethbridge 1833 and Henry Addington Simcoe of Penheale, 1868.
The north door and tympanum are illustrated by Sedding.
Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.
Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall
Listing NGR: SX2727486602
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings